Default Novel way to uncap comb

I was surfing the net researching uncapping machines, when I found this video on YouTube. Watch what he does starting at 1:35 to uncap low spots that the machine missed. Looks like a paint remover. Sure looks easier than scraping. If used quickly, do you think it would damage the honey?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QlkxJgiRpEk&NR=1

Bill

#################################

Bee natural. No, play it in 'C'. Just bee natural.

Quote Originally Posted by bnatural View Post
    I was surfing the net researching uncapping machines, when I found this video on YouTube. Watch what he does starting at 1:35 to uncap low spots that the machine missed. Looks like a paint remover. Sure looks easier than scraping. If used quickly, do you think it would damage the honey?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QlkxJgiRpEk&NR=1

Bill

#################################

Bee natural. No, play it in 'C'. Just bee natural.
    I thought it was just a heat gun for embossing like they sell at Hobby Lobby.

doesn't seem to be in much of a hurry. Figure it takes about an hour to extract a super.
    Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid. John Wayne

I've seen a guy near me use his wifes old hair dryer. It worked OK on a few combs I saw but don't know how it would be on a lot of them. Seems to me the longer they are running the hotter they get so it might start melting the whole comb and not just the caps after a bit.

Ayah, the whole video is shot in a pretty laid back manner. My interest was in the use of the heat gun to melt the cappings. I've seen several posts here from beeks, who have carpal tunnel or other hand/wrist ailments. The heat gun appears to be a pretty low stress way to uncap the low spots (v.s. a hackler honey punch, for example).

Bill

###################################

Just a Bkeeper. someday, I hope to be an Akeeper

Yep it sure is pretty novel. I dont think that he has the heatgun on the cappiings ong enough to cause any damage to the honey. Dont forget that we use steam driven capping knives or similar to decap by hand and these are pretty hot also.

Nice looking honey house,but it's awfully tight for my liking. I know it's in the city so space is probably at a premium. And this person must have a lot of time to spare because it looks like he has to spend alot of time just uncapping. I think that he could be more efficient by using a cappings fork or hive tool. Or using the gun and do away w/ the machine.
    Mark Berninghausen "That which works, persists."

Exclamation Very creative

an interesting way to uncap honey...thanks for the post