Hybrid View

Default new to bee keeping and so many questions!

I'm so excited to get started. I have contacted my local bee club and will attend the ANR week at the university in a few weeks. I'm sure all my questions will be answered there, but I was wondering if I will get any honey my first year? I have watched youtube videos and demonstrations about how to put the new queen and bees in your hive, but when do you come back to take out the queen box thingy? I noticed there were were several different ideas about what should be done. One person rubber banded the queen box to the comb, one person put it on the bottom of the box and one person hung it from the top. Since they all seemed to be seasoned beekeepers I am left thinking there is more than one way to do things. I am gathering equimpment and my bees will be here mid april. I really am excited! I am looking forward to the day I can actually reply to a post with an answer. Thanks for all your help.

Welcome, it sounds like you're doing all the right
    things, including becoming a member here.

As to honey the first year....... if you're starting a
    Nuc then that is more likely than a package. But
    even with a package, if everything goes well you
    could get a small crop.

oh well, I will hope for the best. Honey is only the bonus to all the fun of learning and sharing what I am learning with my family.

Are you doing packages?? 2# or 3#? New foundation??

You have the right attitude.... have fun...... honey is
    a bonus the first year.

I am getting three pound packages with queen/ 3 banded Italians. My local honey club pres. is coordinating a large purchase. And yes, probably new foundation. I have found a retiring bee keeper but I'm not sure what he will have.

Welcome. The ANR week is a good time. I haven't had a chance to go in several years but my father usually makes it. You may want to join the Michigan Beekeepers Association. We have some pretty good meetings. If you get any supplies from Rossmans we can arrange for a really good deal on shipping as long as you don't mind coming to our farm to pick up your things. Sunfield is near Lansing exit 67 off of I-96
    I am holding on to the hope I have inside... Kutless