Thread: G'day from Oz

Hybrid View

Default G'day from Oz

G'day from Oz.

SlickMick here. While all you Beeks from the lands beyond are having a well earned kip we are working in temps in the mid to high 90s

I live in Brisbane, Queensland on the east coast of Oz south of the Great Barrier Reef and east of Uluru.

I have been keeping bees for about 15 years until the 2 hives I had were wiped out by the SHB. Didn't know a thing about the pest until then but I sure do know a lot more now.

I have since caught a couple of swarms and bought a nuc over the past 3 weeks so I am in the process of restocking and enjoying the girls once again.

I sell a bit of honey and make a bit of mead so I am really into the game for the fun of it and the interest.

Other interests include spending a lot of time in my suburban garden and playing archery.. I'm retired and married with 2 adult kids and 3 grandchildren so life is pretty full.

Hope to catch up with some of you over time.

See you around

Welcome, and hope to hear more of beekeeping
    from the land down under. Of all the places I've
    wanted to visit, Australia has been at the top of
    the list since I was a kid.

Thanks for the welcome, Sundance. You must be a bit of a night owl to respond to my post at this time of day/night

The problem with living in large countries is that you cant manage to see everything or do anything in a month of visiting overseas. We spent 6 weeks in Canada, LA, Las Vegas and the Grand Canyon quite a few years ago and hardly touched the surface.

Still we were glad to have the time to explore what we were able to in the time we had and I am sure you would find it much the same should you ever make it here.

Default Welcome

Hello SlickMick and welcome to this forum. May we be helpful and entertaining! There are so many aspects to beekeeping, never a dull moment. I too am retired and enjoy all the surrounds of it. I build most of the woodwork for about four hives. They are Langstroth and are on eighteen inch high pipe stands as I also do some welding and use mostly what other people throw away. I am also experimenting with various wood joints and am fighting varroa and small hive beetles. On a quiet day alone with our bees you may find an old man talking to those nice little insects.....and they listen!.......maybe.....Take care and have fun

Sounds like we have a lot to learn from you. Glad you're here! Looking forward to your posts.
    "My wife always wanted girls. Just not thousands and thousands of them......"

Welcome SlickMate. I too have always wanted to visit your wonderful country. Doubt that I will ever be able to afford the trip but I have always yearned to visit.

Years ago I put in for a work visa to maybe move to your country to live a few years. I worked in the IT field and my wife was a nurse. To my surprise they didn't want to give me a visa, they wanted me to move to Australia and become a citizen.

Perhaps I should have done that. Or dual citizenship.
    De Colores,
    Ken