Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

Hello from Maine

5K views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  BeekeeperBill 
#1 ·
Hi all, my name is Bruce and my wife is Chris and we live in Garland, Me. and although we have kept bees for nearly 20 years, we still can't seem to get it right. We did have our best honey crop ever last year in a difficult summer but it seems that our bees did not survive this winter........again. We now think we would like to try 4.9 bees and have many questions about that. So we hope to use you all as another knowledgeable resource.

#6 ·
Hello Summerbeam,

Welcome. I used to live In Presque Isle and hunted around your area all the way to Princeton and beyond. Looks like you found the right place for your questions. Glad you're here!

#7 ·
Hi, y'all. I understand Maine got some snow this year. As a newbee I wonder, what is a 4.9?
I am a first timer with bees and my girls did not make it through our Sonoma County winter. No brood in the chamber and no honey. A few bees found with their heads in cell so I guess they starved :cry:
So in response I built a top bar hive and now I'll have two hives this year. Though I know the disheartening affect you are going through I find it encouraging to know that true troopers out there do carry on. Thanks for that.
=Len

#10 ·
I had a good year also last year...my 3rd year (i think). I had 3 hives in the fall, and snowshoed to them yesterday, pounded on the hives, and bees came out of all 3. They still feel like they had some weight to them, but in a couple weeks, i'm going to double check. Two brood chambers of stores in the fall and with the hives facing south with good sun exposure, I've never had them not make it through unless they were in bad shape before hand.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.