Thread: Drones in NC?

Default Drones in NC?

Went through a few hives yesterday and saw some drone cells. I thought i saw a drone or 2 but do not recoginize young drones vs. older ones. Can someone piont me in the right direction as i would like to do splits. Any help is appreciated. Thanks
    larry

They look the same. Just like the other castes, when they emerge from the combs they are adults. There are young adult drones and older adult drones, but unless you see one who emerged seconds ago, I doubt that you'd be able to tell them apart w/ any accuracy.

Are other beekeepers making splits in Winston-Salem. It's a little early for me to be making splits in SC, near Conway, so I'd think that it would be even earlier where you are, by a couple days or a week. Were you planning on letting them raise their own queens? Is that why you are concerned about the drones?

Good luck.
    Mark Berninghausen To combat Ebola, please consider supporting http://www.doctorswithoutborders.org

I went into my 3 hives Thursday afternoon and 1 had some capped drone cells. I have seen a few drones that have over wintered but not sufficient numbers to think a queen could get mated. Using Michael Bush's Bee Math page I figure its going to be around another 30 days before these drones will have emerged and be in a in a position to fly to a drone congregation area. I did not see drone brood in the other 2 hives.

I have heard of others in this area who have seen drone brood, but I have not heard anyone seeing any significant drone flights.

I'm seeing the same thing Jacobs is. Be patient.