Default Has anyone had success with the miller type feeders?

http://www.beesource.com/plans/mfeeder.htm

Even though I purchased front feeders, I have decided not to use them (robbing, low capacity)

Now I am weighing out the differences between using a upside down bucket with holes or a miller feeder.

Any opinions one way or the other?

If you only feed occasionally, and a few colonies, I would go with the bucket. Take the money you would spend for the miller feeder and buy a super to cover the bucket. You will get more usage from the extra super than the feeder.

Default Miller vs Bucket

I bought a new style miller feeder from Dadant last year. It has a screen over the top the keep the bee's from drowning. I still had alot drown but not compared to the old platic frame style feeder. The new plastic frame feeder is nice though. It has a cover and 2 ladders for the bee's top get down to the sugar water.
    BUT a good tight bucket is hard to beat. They can be free like I get @ the bakery and I use them as satelite feeders later on. For the price of an empty deep you cant go wrong.

Sorry about the size of the images. But I made 4 of these for my hives. They do not drip like inverted jars can. They are cheap to make and have not drowned a bee yet. They hold about 2 quarts each. I place them on top inside a super body. The wood floats the plastic screen preventing drownings. Inside prevents robbing. I always worried about inverted jars dripping and freezing bees and brood with temp changes.
    http://mikesfarm1.blogspot.com/2009/...-are-pigs.html

Regards
    Mike

http://mikesfarm1.blogspot.com/

Not sure what you mean by "bucket". Buckets to me are usually large. I like to use new 1 gallon paint cans. Can be purchased from Lowe's for between $3 - $4. They last for years. Just punch some small holes in the center of the lid, fill the can with SW, put the lid on, carry it where you want it and invert it over the inner cover.
    De Colores,
    Ken

Thanks guys.

I am going to try Mike's idea in one hive and USCbeeman's in the other hive.

I forgot to mention you will need to put a high body super on top of the inner cover and then a top cover to enclose the SW can!
    De Colores,
    Ken

I've used them for a few years now. They're not bad, hold a lot of syrup. The down side is price, I think I'm going to get some buckets next time. They're cheaper and I can buy extras and fill them at home and just switch out as needed.

K

I HAVE A QUESTION? I RECENTLY BOUGHT A HIVE SETUP FROM BETTERBEE. IT CAME WITH A TOP FEEDER, I GUESS A MILLER STYLE FEEDER??! SINCE MY FOUNDATION IS NEW, NOT DRAWN HOW OFTEN WILL I HAVE TO FILL THE FEEDER WITHOUT DISRUPTING MY NEW HIVES?

MELISSAA

Hey Melissaa -

Welcome to Beesource.

Please turn the Caps off when you post.
    Regards, Barry

Melissa

keep feed on at all times until Dandelion flow
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------
    i use a miller style feeder in a large stationary operation.

My version is made with the slot on one end instead of the middle. we use pegboard as a raft instead of a screen. the raft has a rim underneath to keep the raft off the bottom of feeder by 1/2 inch . we use luan 1/8 inch flooring plywood for the feeder bottom and 2 by 4's for the frame.

we can get 1.5 gallon in these and they are nice as they can sit on a hive all winter also and double as a dry feeder.

Hi Melissa,

I use a miller feeder on one hive. I don't think is disturbs the bees much as you don't need to get into the hive itself to add feed. Just take off the cover and pour in the sugar water. Takes about 15 seconds and then the lid's back on.

Welcome to the forum and have a great time with your bees.

BB