Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

Shelf Life of Apiguard

8K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  beemandan 
#1 ·
I bought a plastic 3KG tub of Apiguard from Dadant in the fall of 2007 and used in to treat a few hives. It seemed to have worked well. But most of the gel was not used. So, I replaced the lid securely and taped it on with duct tape.

Then in the fall of 2008 I used the remaining gel to treat about 20 hives. It did not appear to work at all. I did notice that the odor of the gel in 2008 was almost nothing compared to what it was a year earlier. What is the shelf life of Apiguard. It appears that is it much less than a year.

#3 ·
The tub I bought in 2008 has a sticker on it that says exp 10/2010. So, I'm guessing that a reasonably well sealed tub should have a shelf life of at least two years.

#5 ·
I do not recall seeing an expiration date on the tub. But, I did seal it very well. It could have been that it was due to expire a few months after I bought it.

#4 ·
Well the essential oil is very volatile (evaporates easily), maybe some small bit of the lid didn't seal, or the container has a nick or something? I'm sure warm temps would degrade it more quickly too. That's a bummer. You would think good sealing would save it.

#6 ·
The supplier from Thymomite recommended storing the strips in a cool, dark place. UV light destroyed Thymol. I store it in a freezer and it works, I have no problem.

If you can smell Thymol when the container is closed it disappears by any small opening in the lid. Maybe the lid is damaged?

Store the container not on a bright place.

#7 ·
I store it in a freezer and it works,
If you can smell Thymol when the container is closed it disappears by any small opening in the lid. Maybe the lid is damaged?

Store the container not on a bright place.
Mine was stored inside a dark cabinet in my garage which rarely gets above 85 degrees, 90 at the most. Storing it in a freezer seems to be a good idea. Of course, if it's not sealed well, it may contaminate your food.

Has anyone stored a partially used container for a year and it's strength was OK afterward?

#8 ·
I got mine about the same time that you did, and used it in 2007 and 2008 similar to what you did. Stored it, just made sure that the lid was on tight.

I don't know what the exp. date was. But I did not notice any difference year by year.

I think that the sealed trays basically never expire.

Rick

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.