Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

New beekeeper

7K views 13 replies 10 participants last post by  USCBeeMan 
#1 ·
Hello everyone! Starting my first year beekeeping and cannot wait to start! This forum has great info.

Melissa a

#8 ·
Welcome aboard. Contact your local wildlife conservation office about the bear fence. Some states give(rent/borrow) the needed equipment for the bear fence. If you can not get the equipment from them then go with the solar fencer, three strands(rows) of 1" tape fence spaced 12" apart starting 12" from ground. Connect the middle strand to your ground and the other 2 are hot. Don't skimp on your ground rod since that is the most important part next to the fencer. Bait the hot wire so the bear if near will go to the scent and receive a lesson before charging through to the hives.

Don't be overwhelmed by the books. Use them as a tool and let the bees tell you what to do. Good luck!

#13 ·
painting hives vs. stain

I really like the natural color of the wood - is it OK to coat them with some kind of deck sealant like Thompsons Waterseal? Is there another clear alternative?

If not, when painting a hive, does one need to prime the hives in the same way that you would paint your house?

Do I need to think about the heat absorbing properties of paint colors, even if I plan in wrapping them in the winter?

#11 ·
Thanks for the info, however i need some info on the type of solar fencer to use...harbor freight has one but i don't know if it will work. I know the quality may be an issue...i just need it to last until i can afford a better one. The new equipment set me back a couple hundred and i don't even have the girls yet. P.s i have a package and a nuc ordered

#12 ·
Thank you to everyone that has welcomed me to the sight! I am so excited to start i can hardly stand it. I never thought that i would be so interested. I watched a great video...tales from the hive...this video really gave me a good perspective on how the bees live. It also has great footage.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.