Hybrid View

Default top jar feeder hole size

I have allways feed my bees from a jar on top cover. But for the lefe of me I cant find a paddle bit, or round cutter the size of a mason jar lid. Im sure they have them just not in my neck of the woods. My jig saw cuts are never perfect. Any sugestions or idea?

If you buy one of those inexpensive hole saw kits
    that fit into your drill, one of them fits like a glove.

I puchased one from lowes but the big one was not big enough. Im sure its just and stock problem from local store. I did look online after senind post and found one I think will work. Thanks for advise.

2 3/4" is the size that works for a standard mason jar.

Thanks for the information.

Default feeder hole

Maybe this belongs in Equipment but I'll add 2 cents. After you cut the hole, lay a generous bead of Polyurethane glue around the outside and then lay a piece of screen cut round to overlap the hole by 3/4 of an inch. Lay saran wrap on top of this and weigh down with something that will hold in place during curing. Let the glue spread out to the edges of the screen (under the saran wrap). When it is cured you will have a feeder hole that the jars can be changed without the bees coming out. Makes for quick jar changes without a suit.

I use this for Nuc feeding and you can just walk down the line with a cart full of jars exchanging new jars on top or you can bring your filler hose along and refill the jars as you go without bees boiling out of the hole. Just watch the spillage. Robbers cannot get in and it makes for an efficient operation that doesn't disturb the nuc's. If you are not feeding and it is hot you can leave the holes open for ventilation.

If you are cutting to insert the lid in the hole you can place the screen on the underside.
    Last edited by wfarler; 02-28-2009 at 08:49 AM.
    "Beware of all enterprises that require new clothes"
    Henry David Thoreau, Walden