Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

Screen Bottom Boards? The Screen?

3K views 17 replies 17 participants last post by  iwombat 
#1 ·
It calls for 1/8" galvanized hardware cloth.
Regular nylon screen is 1/8". Can I substitute?
Local hardware stores don't carry 1/8" and would have to order.

Or if they had wire screening?

Thanks
Mike

#2 · (Edited)
Hey MikeJ,
The galvanized hardware cloth provides ventilation and keeps other bees out like robber bees.
The nylon screen would fulfill the ventilation part. But, although I have not seen the nylon screening it may be flexible enough to let bees in and out and therefore open up a hive to robbing.
You also want it large enough to let stuff fall through like mites and wax particles.
Just my thoughts.
Ski

#3 ·
I would think that the plastic or nylon 1/8 mesh screens could work for SBB's. My concern would be they would be easier damaged from my stacking them when not in use. I'd probably drop them on something or bang them into something as I was stacking them as I'm not known to be so graceful. :doh:

#6 ·
I think I would worry about skunks, ***** etc. ripping the nylon or fiberglass screen and scooping out the hive for a good meal, or mice chewing through to move in. 1/8" hardware cloth can be ordered from Betterbee. Also fine aluminum or nylon screen does not let debris and varroa fall through which is half the reason for having it.

#7 ·
ACE Hardware has it.

The big chains (Lowe's, Home Depot) do not have 1/8 inch hardware cloth.

I found it at ACE Hardware. It is a 10' roll for about $21. A little pricy but you can get 13 bottoms out of a 10' roll so that works out to less than $2 / bottom when you add the tax.

I think they can order longer rolls but I don't know how much they will cost.

Fuzzybeekeeper

#15 ·
ACE is the place

I have found it in ACE stores in Texas and here in Georgia also. Not every store sells it, but the ones with screen building and repair sections usually do. If you fail at finding it locally, I have an address to order. PM me if you need it.

#16 ·
rw, before you by any more, jump in your bee truck and drive down here. You can get it for 90 bucks a roll. 100'X36". They don't stock it but they will pick it up on their run for restock on Thursdays I think it is. No shipping charge either.

I'm going to need to get another roll myself sometime soon. Boss Brothers, if you know who that is? They are just out of town here about a mile on the right, Hwy78 east towards Athens. Nice people.

OH, Ace is not the place...... :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.