Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

Hello all

6K views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  Ben Brewcat 
#1 ·
My name is Ben and I currently live in West Tennessee. I will be moving to Tuscaloosa Alabama soon and I am wanting to start raising bees. I am still looking into the local laws in the area around my new home so I may not be able to start this year there. I have a second location where I want to put up some hives (my parent's ranch about 45 min north of Birmingham) so the information will be useful anyway.

I am a complete novice when it comes to beekeeping. I am a 33 year old accountant so this is just a hobby but if I am able to bring in a few bucks that is a bonus. I am something of a geek so I may just end up spending it on the newest bee toys for my honey shack. :doh:

I found out about this site from Fentanyl3 on YouTube so if he reads this I want to give him a big "Thank You" for letting me know about this forum.

If you have any questions for me just ask. I can assure you I will do the same. :cool:

#6 ·
I was thinking of a TBH set up but I was told yield would be down and wintering could be a problem. I am not sure how bad wintering is since winters are not that bad where I will be setting them up. How much will yield be down? Since I am just learning anyway is one harder? I learned to drive with a standard transmission so I would rather learn bees the same way.

#7 ·
Welcome Templar Ben...and good luck with the bees. I live in south central middle Tennessee. Interesting to see Jeff's plans also...and would like to know where he is planning on beekeeping here in Tennessee? Anyway...best wishes and as the worthy brothers might say, "So smoke a bee." ;)

#8 ·
Ben,
You'll want to find yourself a good mentor in your area. You'll get an idea soon enough about overwintering in your neck of the woods. Don't worry about yield at this point. Just get going...set up a TBH...set up a regular Langstroth. Lots to learn by both.
Barry
Englewood#715 Indianapolis

#11 ·
Welcome Ben! Go ahead for April. Are you starting with a package? If so better line one up ASAP. Topbars do not yield as much honey as an actively-managed lang, but are an interesting and informative way to maintain bees. Not harder (for you or for the bees), just different. If your goal is to get to know bees, have a colony for your garden, education and recreation a topbar will be great. The equipment you'll have to make or order, not as available as the ubiquitous Langstroth equipment, kind of a specialty item.

As to the few extra bucks, you'll get them! Just be sure to not count what you spent to get there :D.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.