Thread: Hello all

Hybrid View

Default Hello all

My name is Ben and I currently live in West Tennessee. I will be moving to Tuscaloosa Alabama soon and I am wanting to start raising bees. I am still looking into the local laws in the area around my new home so I may not be able to start this year there. I have a second location where I want to put up some hives (my parent's ranch about 45 min north of Birmingham) so the information will be useful anyway.

I am a complete novice when it comes to beekeeping. I am a 33 year old accountant so this is just a hobby but if I am able to bring in a few bucks that is a bonus. I am something of a geek so I may just end up spending it on the newest bee toys for my honey shack.

I found out about this site from Fentanyl3 on YouTube so if he reads this I want to give him a big "Thank You" for letting me know about this forum.

If you have any questions for me just ask. I can assure you I will do the same.

Default Welcome

Welcome Ben,
    I'm sure you'll learn lots on the forum, I know I did. Can I assume that you've done some traveling?
    Barry

I am a travelling man. Metro West 927 in Alabama.

Welcome to the forum Ben. Can't wait to hear how things go for you!
    "My wife always wanted girls. Just not thousands and thousands of them......"

Ben,
    Welcome to the forum! I'm in the process of starting up a few locations in TN, just a few hours north of you. I plan to retire to TN in a few years to the family farm. Going to keep my northern bees and establish some in the south too!

I was thinking of a TBH set up but I was told yield would be down and wintering could be a problem. I am not sure how bad wintering is since winters are not that bad where I will be setting them up. How much will yield be down? Since I am just learning anyway is one harder? I learned to drive with a standard transmission so I would rather learn bees the same way.

Welcome Templar Ben...and good luck with the bees. I live in south central middle Tennessee. Interesting to see Jeff's plans also...and would like to know where he is planning on beekeeping here in Tennessee? Anyway...best wishes and as the worthy brothers might say, "So smoke a bee."
    "My child, eat honey, for it is good." (Proverbs 24:13)

Ben,
    You'll want to find yourself a good mentor in your area. You'll get an idea soon enough about overwintering in your neck of the woods. Don't worry about yield at this point. Just get going...set up a TBH...set up a regular Langstroth. Lots to learn by both.
    Barry
    Englewood#715 Indianapolis

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Tolson View Post
    Ben,
    You'll want to find yourself a good mentor in your area. You'll get an idea soon enough about overwintering in your neck of the woods. Don't worry about yield at this point. Just get going...set up a TBH...set up a regular Langstroth. Lots to learn by both.
    Barry
    Englewood#715 Indianapolis
    I complete my move on April 16th. Would that be too late to finish the setup? I am really anxious but I don't want to kill a bunch of bees just for me to learn. I know they will die but no point in me putting my hive behind the 8 ball.

We are most glad to have you with us, Ben. You'll find both friends and information here in abundance....WELCOME!!!
    LtlWilli