Default Belated Introduction

Well, I have been lurking around here for a while, but I am still pretty green. My name is Dave DuPre. I am located in Charlotte, NC. I am currently finishing up building equipment on two hives and attending "Bee School" at the Mecklenburg County, NC Beekeepers Association. I reserved and am picking up two Russian nucs in May, and just dreaming until then. I have not gotten into a hive yet, but have a mentor and should hopefully be getting in there when the weather is a little nicer. It has been warm recently, upwards of 70F, followed by frigid temps in the days after. I have not seen any bees flying around on the warm days, only copperheads (they weren't flying....for long). We have always had a problem with them here, so I am spending my cold days getting my back yard cleared out to garden and to rid those snakes of a habitat. Not sure what I am planting yet, I figure the bees will help my plants more than my plants help the bees.

It sounds like you are doing everything right.
    Welcome to the forum (even if belated). And I believe your statement about the bees helping your plants was right on. My garden was the reason I started beekeeping, but I grew to love the bees more than I would ever have expected.
    So many weeds.......so little time.

I can't imagine 70 degree weather about now, but I suppose it won't be long. Thanks for lurking and we look forward to your posts!
    "My wife always wanted girls. Just not thousands and thousands of them......"

We're still pretty cold up here..can't wait for spring. Welcome to the forum, and i'm glad we don't have any of those copperheads up here..
    "I reject your reality, and substitute my own." Adam Savage