Default AHB question and an introduction

Hello there.

I am new to bees and have just begun researching them with the intention of starting a hive this spring. Today I picked up a handfull of books from the library and am almost done building a langstroth hive. I look forward to reading and posting here in the future.

And a quick question...

Is an AHB the same as what is commonly referred to as a "killer bee". Is the concern just that they are not docile or do they carry some kind of disease?

Thank you,
    Marcus

Default Ahb

Welcome to the fourm. Yes the AHB is refered to as killer bees because of their aggressive nature. I have never heard of them carrying a disease that is harmful to humans. Jack

welcome marcus, it looks like you are not to far from me.where are you getting your bees?i have gotten queens from tates honey farm and they have done well.western bee might also be a good resource for you. ahb dont carry any disease, they are just aggressive, although i have no experience with them. when i was a kid i loved the hype of it.i could not wait for killer bees to show up.they kept telling us that they would get to tennessee in the next 2 years or whatever.

Hi Justin,

Good to see that there are people so close on the forum. It's funny you bring up Tate's. That is where I am going to get my bees from. Apparently they are only open on Saturdays so i am going to visit them this weekend. There is also a Northwest bee conference that happens on the second Saturday(?) of every month in Spokane. I would like to go to that next month as well.

Marcus