Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

Reusing frames

2K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  bleta12 
#1 ·
I have a medium super with frames that were about 50% capped at the end of last summer's flow. I left it on the hive for winter for extra space and food stores due to a fairly large colony going into fall. I did some fall feeding including HBH and Fumagilin with the super on so I have to assume that some of those were stored in the super.

If I uncap and spin out whatever is left in those frames this spring, can I use them to harvest honey for human consumption or should I only use them for the bees now? The super was not on for any other kind of chemical mite treatment.

#4 ·
That was my plan--to leave the super on the hive as feed and take it off at the point (as close as I can) when the bees stop consuming from inside the hive and start bringing in what they need. Even if I catch that perfectly I imagine that there will be capped cells that may contain syrup/HBH. I will open those cells and spin them to make sure the honey I harvest later in the year is a "pure" as possible.

Thanks for the input.

#6 ·
If the super was moved under the brood chamber wont they move this capped honey up leaving the super ready for the coming year
That is what I would do too, in a nice day in 2 weeks put the supper under the broad chamber, you can scratch some of the honey on the supper, reduce the entrance. The bees will move the honey up and use as feed and you will have an empty supper for your honey flow. It is called bottom feeding.

Good luck Gilman

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.