Default Just saying hello from Texas

Hello, I am new here. I am slightly interested in bees for their honey production. I am really interested in honey as it is an ingrediant in mead. I just purchased a wine equipment kit (happily waiting for it) and will probablly experiment with mead as well as wine.

I am a do it your self type anyway. I am raising chickens and will have 2 steers on my property in March. I raise my own watermelons (yellow and orange meated) as well as vegetables.

I do have a couple of questions. Will I have trouble with my livestock and the bees? All of my neighbors have livestock as well.

I have a large ( acre) duck pond in the back pasture. Will the ducks be ok?

Nice to meet yall, I am in Houston. Well, almost in Houston. In between Houston and Humble.

Mike D

Default animals

Hi,

I am from Louisiana. Your animals will be no trouble to the bees. They don't like horses for some reason, but seem to be fine with the others. They will attack dogs if they get too close to the hives, but the dogs learn quickly to stay away. Cats seem to be ok with the bees.

Best of luck to you. If I can be of any help, contact me by e-mail(jgauth7057@aol.com)

James

Quote Originally Posted by James Gauthier View Post
    Hi,

I am from Louisiana. Your animals will be no trouble to the bees. They don't like horses for some reason, but seem to be fine with the others. They will attack dogs if they get too close to the hives, but the dogs learn quickly to stay away. Cats seem to be ok with the bees.

Best of luck to you. If I can be of any help, contact me by e-mail(jgauth7057@aol.com)

James
    Thank You for the information. And, I will contact you if I need help, thanks for that too.
    Mike D

Welcome, you've come to the right place. Lot's
    of great info to be had for the asking.

Ducks are crazy about honey so the only thing you will have to worry about is them sneaking into the hives and stealing your honey while the bees are asleep.

Good luck. You are going to love having bees...oh and honey moonshine.
    Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid. John Wayne

howdy... and I guess you know what that might mean?

mead is good... the livestock will likely drink all of that you can make. old men will become your friend... if you make enough.

I keep most of my hives out in fairly expansive pastures... neither the horse or cattle seem to have much problem with the girls. I am not so certain about horses in a stall type situation. It is good to set the girls back away from traffic.. human and livestock. with the small hive beetle it is best to have them out in full sunshine and I suspect sandy type soil.

Quote Originally Posted by tecumseh View Post

I expect I do.

Quote Originally Posted by tecumseh View Post

mead is good... the livestock will likely drink all of that you can make. .
    They better not. Life expectancy could get mighty short.

Thank all of Yall for the welcome.

Chickens and ducks do just fine in the same area as bees. Bees can make a big difference with squash, melons, cukes and pumpkins.

-Bob

Welcome!

Summer

Howdy and welcome as well, from Austin!

I'm an Aggie and lived in the Houstonish area as well for a while. Now I keep bees and chickens in my backyard.

Have fun with your bees!

Default steers

The only problem I've had with cattle on the same lot as hives is that the cows seemed to like using them as scratching posts.

Blessed Bee
    Doug
    May the Great Spirit watch over you as long as the grass grows and the water flows.

Howdy do neighbor... you can't go wrong here lots a really good help in here.
    Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Devbee View Post
    I'm an Aggie

I wouldn't tell to many people that living in Austin.
    Chuck Norris has a grizzly bear carpet in his room. The bear isn't dead it is just afraid to move.

derek writes:
    I wouldn't tell to many people that living in Austin.

tecumseh:
    there may be more aggies living in austin that tu (tea sipper) fans. almost anyone who has lived in college station for a spell looks a bit westward and thinks of austin as 'the promised land', or valhalla if you are a bit more nordic.

austin is (and has alway been as far as I can tell) just a bit different. thus the slogan.. keep austin weird.