Thread: What to do ?

Default What to do ?

My bees are boiling over at the entrance that is just a very small opening on he entrance reducer. I am afraid they are going to swarm. The local culb recomended not split yet as we could have some more cold whether. We usually have a little Easter Snap of cool. The days are nice now but the nights get down in the mid 30's. Bess are bringing in pollen by the loads and I have been feeding a 1:1 sugar water for approx. 1 month.
    Opinions wanted, I don't want to loose any bees at all either by swarming or freezing.

Bees on the front could be several things. If they get too hot then they will gather or "beard" on the front of the hive, not really something to worry about.

Couple of things to do. Give them more room. If you haven't already, throw on a super to give them more room to expand. Second, they won't swarm without a new queen (usually) so check and see if you have any swarm cells. If you do then you know that they are preparing for it. There are several things you can do at that point, but before discussing that (and there are other threads that have talked bout this before or Michael Bush's web site on this topic) do the basics first. Once again, give them more room and check for swarm cells. Good luck.
    Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid. John Wayne

Thanks for your quick response Alpha6. The whether has not been the greatest,rian,sunshine awhile then clouds and more rain. While that is all helpful for spring flowers it's a bad time to open hives .I considered truning my entrance reducer to the larger size to slow down traffic.
    I'll go to M.B.'s homepage to see what he recomends.
    Again thanks ,Jim

Why do you have an entrance reducer on?? If they
    are boiling over get rid of it. And pop that lid and
    take a look. As Alpha said, check for congestion
    in the brood box, and check for Q cells.