Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Help design the Ultra Breeze pants

I have a lot of peanuts from the peanut gallery wanting pants and I want to hear what people are potentially looking for in those pants. I did a poll a while back on this subject, but I want to address the issue again to cover some of the details.

Cost is a very big issue for beekeepers and I know the Ultra Breeze can cause some people to go into sticker shock. Also some want bibs and bibs are going to be expensive and time intensive to make. So here are the options.

There are three main types of pants that can be made:

1. A sweat pants style with an elastic waist band and draw string. The advantage of this is cost. These would be the least costly of the options to make.

2. A painters style pants with belt loops, front zipper and pockets. These are more like traditional style slacks and I see fitting issues. Cost would be significantly higher because they are more labor intensive to make. Suspenders could also be offered if desired.

3. A bib style. Again more costly, but maybe less fitting issues. But is extra height that a bib offers really needed? The jackets are fairly long so I don’t think there would be gap issue when bending over.
    Home of the ventilated and sting resistant Ultra Breeze bee suits and jackets
    http://www.honeymoonapiaries.com

Default Help design the Ultra Breeze pants

Bending over seems to be the biggest concern for a lot of people. Bend over the jacket pulls up and your lower back is exposed. I was thinking of putting two snaps or buckles in the back of the jackets and the pants to tie them together.

I can use snaps which are low profile but are not easily retrofitted to existing jackets.

Plastic buckles on webbing can easily be sewn on existing jackets and easier to connect than metal snaps.

So give me some feedback.

As a female with hips and smaller waist I vote for the sweat pant style. At least something with a drawstring. The issue I can see is the guys that have the waistband under their belly. I think fit will be a big issue with most women with either the bibs or the painter pants. JMHO.

I'd vote for the sweatpants style as well. Might be nice to have a few velcro type patches that could be quickly stuck on the inside of jacket top of pants to remedy the bending over problem easily....They come with the pants...beekeeper application

A zipper for a man is a must IMO. For obvious
    reasons.

Suspenders can be added to anything really, even
    sweats.

Musts:

*Fly with zipper.

*Reinforced knees.

*Pockets front and back.

I'd prefer a low bib, but even sweats with suspenders
    will work. No personal interest in belt loops.

Sweat pants would be ok...must have pockets though. One long narrow one that would hold a hive tool, and then some whatnot pockets.

Let me know when you get a pair done....thanks.
    "I reject your reality, and substitute my own." Adam Savage

The sweat pant style is good for me. I too would like to see a long pocket on the side to hold the hive tool.

Not sure what to suggest for securing the jacket to pants. I am not sure I like the snaps. The clips that you show might be better but they are bulky.

The velcro sounds like a good idea. Easy to apply and when not in use it doesn't jab you in the back. Might even sew the velcro to the back of the pants and the beek could sew the other half to the inside of their jacket. Having the beek do it would be good because they need to be at different palaces depending on how tall the beek is.

I was planning on having hive tool pockets on each side, but didn't think about other pockets since they would likely be covered by the jacket that has pockets.

I did find a supplier for white suspenders.

Default but didn't think about other pockets since they would likely be covered by the jacket

They could be placed like the cargo pants have, down on the lower leg. Would be a good spot to carry queen cages an such.

Quote Originally Posted by peggjam View Post
    They could be placed like the cargo pants have, down on the lower leg. Would be a good spot to carry queen cages an such.
    If I have pockets they get used......... On the down side
    of pockets is the restriction of air flow.

I could live without a load of them. Even one cargo style
    would work.

Of course pockets could be made from the ventilated
    material!!!

My ideal pair of pants would have the military kind of pockets...so I can stuff'em full of things......I never have enough pockets.

You should take a look at hockey jerseys for the snaps. They've got a built-in elastic strap with snaps for attaching to the shorts. Why re-invent the wheel?

Quote Originally Posted by iwombat View Post
    You should take a look at hockey jerseys for the snaps. They've got a built-in elastic strap with snaps for attaching to the shorts. Why re-invent the wheel?
    Wombat, can you look around the web for a picture for me? I am from New Orleans so I have never seen hockey equipment.

After reading a lot of the replies, it sounds like there are several advantages to the sweats. It would be nice if they had pockets. The zipper may not be necessary as sweats are easily opened, if you don't use suspenders.
    Dan

I could live with no zipper as well. We have a great
    seamstress in town that can install one cheap.

Please stay on topic.

Default what i look for in bee suit pant

large enough cuff to pull on without taking off your boots - velcro or elastic that would then form around the top of the boot. My Honey maker 'sweatsuit' has zippers at the pants leg + elastic - works pretty well to allow it to pull over my boots but in the end is too short and end up taking stings on the sock sometimes.

Suspenders are a definate plus, drawstring waist. Bend over without running out of slack - so baggy is good.

I use the pockets in the jacket so don't care about the pant pocket so much. mainly just need spots for a hive tool, cell phone, queen cages and a frame puller.

If you decide to make a jumpsuit style watch out for the zipper length. My honeymaker somehow is hard to put my arms through because the front zipper is too short-hard to describe unless you watch the contortions.
    "Beware of all enterprises that require new clothes"
    Henry David Thoreau, Walden

Lightbulb

Everything "learning" said! We've covered some of that before. Still wondering (and my long ago pm never got answered) if you are going to put alexander style veils instead of hood veils on jackets. They are a much better option when dealing with Africanized ladies who like to fly straight towards your face!

Other commentary:

Duluth trading company makes a "long-tail" t-shirt designed to deal with "Plumber's Butt". Not as good as a jacket , but better than bare skin.

Bu-Jin design company makes martial arts wear -- do-gi and so on. They have some truly excellent pants that I wear working bees. If I can do a high fall, rolls, and so on ("ukemi") on them, they will flex for lifting and moving bee boxes. The number one drawback is that they are high-waters, since on the mat, your feet are bare. Also a nice heavy cotton that is warmish.

But take a look at what these folks are doing. Maybe seeing them will give you ideas you can incorporate.

Anything you make with a bib I will not buy or will just cut off. Unless it's custom, no point in trying to hope it will fit.

For Sundance and the other determindley male wearers ( ) Make them a dang fly with a strip of velcro UNDER the elastic waist band. He can unvelcro if he must, and the rest of us won't care one way or t'other.

Summer

I agree with wfarler: You have to be able to put on/take off the pants without removing your boots. A zipper ankle and maybe elastic (like jacket sleeves) would be ideal. I wear leg bands so a tight fit is not necessary for me.

As for style, I vote for sweat pants style. Fits more body shapes. I have a pocket in my jacket so am ambivalent about additional pockets in the pants.
    “The keeping of bees is like the direction of sunbeams.” -Henry David Thoreau

Default Make one for the long and tall

I'm a tall skinny guy and a problem I see is the pants aren't long enough for me. If it fits somewhat in the waist and all it's too short in the legs. If I try a large sized suit it's too big in the arms as such. I would like the painter pants type if it fit right but the jump suit types usally end up fitting me best. So I guess I would vote for the sweat pant style.