Default To nuk or not to nuk

When using all medium 8 frame equipment, should one also use 5 frame nuks for new splits or put them directly into an 8 frame box. How about an 8 framer with a follower board.
    ! ! ! 4 years and STILL a bee-ginner ! ! !

Default Nucs

If you make the divides strong enough they can outgrow the 8 frame brood chamber. Frames of drawn out comb can act like a follower board.
    Remember that a comb of sealled/capped brood emerges within 7 to 10 days.
    You should be able to make up the nuc, add a mated queen, reduce the entrance, and feed syrup.
    Good Luck,
    Ernie
    Last edited by BEES4U; 02-17-2009 at 12:42 AM. Reason: spelling
    Ernie
    My websitehttp://bees4u.com/

Big Grin Nuke 'em all!

Quote Originally Posted by rw3212 View Post
    When using all medium 8 frame equipment, should one also use 5 frame nuks for new splits or put them directly into an 8 frame box. How about an 8 framer with a follower board.
    If you have nucs use them. They prefer crowded places and will develop better in smaller boxes. If you don't have nucs just use follower boards.
    "Do nothing. Time is too precious to waste." Buddha

perhaps begin by adding your favorite smiley face here...

hopefully after folks finish their conversation about nukes with a lady from serbia named sasha, homeland security will not show up at your door inquiring as to what's that conversation was really all about. on the other hand I do understand that beekeeping at the desert detention center in arizona can be a fun, challanging and rewarding occupation.

I didn't really use the word occupation... did I?

or perhaps end by inserting your favorite smiley face here...

Smile

@ Tecumseh
    Funny, I must admit, occupation
    Where did you get the impression that I am a lady?
    Did you ever saw a 240 pound 6 feet tall lady with a beard, capable of lifting 3 super high beehive on a roof of a car, (together with combs and bees inside of it)?
    "Do nothing. Time is too precious to waste." Buddha

rw3212,
    If you calculate the foundation area of a deep 5 frame nuc it will be close to 7 or 8 medium frames. So 5 medium frames in a nuc might be over crowing the bees to start. Under normal conditions you may want to start out in your 8 frame medium. Also to agree with bees4u post its a good idea to feed.
    The political stuff can go to the tailgater section, throw rocks at each other in the TAILGATER section.

With my 8 frame deeps I still stay with the 5 frame
    Nuc until they are really going. Then off to the 8 frame.

You could certainly run with 4 frame Nucs, many do. I
    just had the 5 framers already built.

Default To nuke or not to nuke

As the title suggests we have to decide if we should nuke......I am in favor of a reasonable facsimile that I understand as humor, in particular when it is international. That is the way we should approach our lives, our neighbors and our endeavors, including 5 frame nucs. By the way Sasha, tie them down good on the roof of your car and don't drive too fast.....
    Take care and have fun

Quote Originally Posted by Sasha View Post
    @ Tecumseh
    Funny, I must admit, occupation
    Where did you get the impression that I am a lady?
    Did you ever saw a 240 pound 6 feet tall lady with a beard, capable of lifting 3 super high beehive on a roof of a car, (together with combs and bees inside of it)?
    Actually, the only time I ever saw a lady that fit that description WAS in Serbia! nope..........sorry that was in Slovania JK

As I recall, Sashe is a nickname for either Alexander or Alexandria, so I have known both people of both genders that go by Sashe.

For what it is worth.

Larry

I find it handy to have five frame medium nucs around, but keep in mind that an eight frame medium is the same volume as a five frame deep nuc.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

Thumbs Up Thanks

Thanks to all for the responses
    ! ! ! 4 years and STILL a bee-ginner ! ! !