Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Illegal Bees in NYC

I have customers/friends in NYC who have bees on their roof tops, one is a regular here. Done responsibly it's much less hazardous than a large dog and provides a needed service to local community gardens and flowers.

It is the one cool experiance to stand on a NYC roof top, working a hive of bees and looking over Gotham City! My Seneca Granmother always told me "Just because you live in a square house doesn't mean you can't be a round person". Nature buffs and Farmers are everywhere!

wonder where the bees forage in a place like that...I guess there has to be something.

Tons of Linden and other trees, Parks everywhere, botanical gardens in every borough, empty lots, along both the East River and the Hudson River and intensive little back yard and roof top gardens everywhere.

got any pics of you roof top adventures?

Check out http://GothamCityBees.com where you will find a link to the petition you can sign in support of legalization.

Several years ago, I had a hive in midtown manhattan that had to be moved out to long island due to complaints from the block association. It was a shame to have to move the hive, but I got a husband in the bargain, not bad! He now has dozens of hives on rooftops, and is teaching 45 novices every Sunday.
    I (heart) Honeybees

Default but I got a husband in the bargain, not bad! He now has dozens of hives on rooftops,

Hmmm....I think I know the person to whom your refer...
    "I reject your reality, and substitute my own." Adam Savage

peg-jam writes:
    Hmmm....I think I know the person to whom your refer

tecumseh:
    humm... is this who I think it is?

a young lady who married my nephew tells me the community garden they use on the southern end of manhatten has a couple of hives that are there for pollination purposes. evidently they have had them there for years.

Quote Originally Posted by B100B101 View Post
    Check out http://GothamCityBees.com where you will find a link to the petition you can sign in support of legalization...
    My signature was #617. We can do better than that!
    Aram

It says that the target is NY City residents. I wouldn't think that the City Counsel would take much interest in outside signatures on the petition.

Am I wrong?
    "Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts." Winston Churchill

I have a friend in NYC that has 3 hives on his balcony. He says that in the summer and fall his honey is special. Many balconeys near him have Mary Jane blooming so he has POT honey. Sorry there is no special effects from this honey!!!
    Clint
    Clinton Bemrose<br />just South of Lansing Michigan<br />Beekeeping since 1964

I was #632!

justgojumpit

Wasn't that Jim Fischer interviewed in the news report? I expect he would be a formidable proponent for the city beeks.

My daughter is a freshman at Columbia and has expressed interest in starting a beekeeping club on a university rooftop - a few blocks from Morningside Park and Riverside Park - but only can do so if it is legalized. The recent American Bee Journal had an article on rooftop beekeeping - esp. nice were the hives on the roof at Fortnum & Mason in London, painted in their blue-green company color. I volunteered to help build Columbia hives and suggested they paint them the light blue school color with lion on the sides.

What the fine for this "illegal" activity? and who the heck enforces it?

Quote Originally Posted by GaSteve View Post
    Wasn't that Jim Fischer interviewed in the news report? I expect he would be a formidable proponent for the city beeks.
    That was him alright. I believe he's been managing hives at the Bronx Zoo for a while now(they must have dispensation).

Hey Jim, congrats on the wedding, now it's time to get back & keep us up to date on the latest science.

Default humm... is this who I think it is?

Aye, it is who you think it is..

Jim's been busy....
    "I reject your reality, and substitute my own." Adam Savage

dubhe writes:
    Hey Jim, congrats on the wedding, now it's time to get back & keep us up to date on the latest science.

tecumseh:
    I will second that. the best to ya' both.

Quote Originally Posted by No_Bivy View Post
    What the fine for this "illegal" activity? and who the heck enforces it?
    thus the new new regulation designed to have everyone pay there "fine" up front.

Its all about the bengimins. why pay someone to enforce a stupid rule, when the activity is actively going on, when instead you can require people to get a special "permit" and generate lots more revenue.

In other words (if it wasnt a public safty issue) which would generate more revenue, writeing speeding tickets or selling speed-for-free passes.

or even better, sell permits, then double the fine for those that dont have permits and raise 3 times the revenue.

(this coming from the state that now wants to tax internet downloads)

Quote Originally Posted by GaSteve View Post
    Yes, and a former beesource contributor too.
    Mark Berninghausen #youmatter