Thread: Legal Question

Question Legal Question

I was out today painting some boxes when a thought came to me...

If a neighbor has some H. bees in their house and they have to pay a removal expert to get them out, what if they try and make the beekeeper in their neighborhood pay the bill, saying that they are his/her bees.
    This is an interesting question, and Iím curious to hear some out takes on this subject.

Are beekeepers liable for the cost of a bee removal company if the home owner says they are the beekeepers bees down the road???

Has this ever happened to any of you out there?

Quote Originally Posted by Bee_Sweet View Post

If a neighbor has some H. bees in their house and they have to pay a removal expert to get them out, what if they try and make the beekeeper in their neighborhood pay the bill, saying that they are his/her bees.
    This is an interesting question, and Iím curious to hear some out takes on this subject.

Are beekeepers liable for the cost of a bee removal company if the home owner says they are the beekeepers bees down the road???
    I would think they would have a hard time proving who's bees they are without brands or ear tags.

Quote Originally Posted by Bee_Sweet View Post

Bees are wild and not domesticated under law. So that means unless say you have a nasty hive that has a tendancy to attack people and animals on more then one occasion your in the free and clear. Don't worry about it thier just trying to get something for nothing.

to add just a bit to hankdog's input... it is difficult to establish ownership of anything that is wild (ie not domesticated).

Default True

Thatís all true, but what about the fact that some of us purchase bees... by purchasing them doesnít that make them property.. that say gets loose?

I am not experiencing a problem with anything like this; it was just a thought that came to me. Maybe others have had the same question and it would be good to discuss incase something like this happens.

I'm not an attorney so I'd never pretend to give legal advice, however.......

anyone can sue for anything, and even if the consensus here is that you wouldn't lose, you'd likely incur legal expenses to defend yourself. Best to make sure your non-business beekeeping is not excluded from your homeowner's policy, and an umbrella probably isn't a bad idea. Anyone with a beekeeping business (and assets) would be foolish not to have a proper policy for that.

their house, their tree, their bees.

Blessed Bee
    Doug
    May the Great Spirit watch over you as long as the grass grows and the water flows.

Yep, possession (location) is everything when it comes to bees. Once the swarm leaves my hive and my property - at best, it becomes the property of wherever it stops to make its new home, the same as ants, wasps, scorpions, or any other wild critter. If scorpions make their nest on your property, then spread out to infest your neighbors gardens, are you then responsible?
    48 years - 50 hives - TF
    Joseph Clemens -- Website Under Constructioni

Not a chance you'd be liable........ as others said it's
    impossible to link ownership and therefore responsibility.

The umbrella insurance is a great idea, regardless.

"and they have to pay a removal expert to get them out"

I wish I lived in your state!!

Here in Baton Rouge, most people that call me flat out refuse to pay me or any other beekeeper to remove bees. Hence, I don't seem to do many removals as I don't do them for free.
    James Henderson
    Golden Delight Honey; 225-803-5406 (cell)

Quote Originally Posted by James Henderson View Post
    "and they have to pay a removal expert to get them out"

I wish I lived in your state!!

Here in Baton Rouge, most people that call me flat out refuse to pay me or any other beekeeper to remove bees. Hence, I don't seem to do many removals as I don't do them for free.
    Simple swarm removal, by someone who needs the Bees, is one thing. But someone who is providing a "Service" such as swarm removal - cut outs - etc. has got to be compensated. Many people feel they are doing you a "favor" by giving you the Bees. That just doesn't work.

If anyone ever trys to stick you with a removal bill, tell them that they aren't your bees. You know where all of your bees are, they have bar codes on them and they all scanned in last night.
    Mark Berninghausen #youmatter