Default Chickens and bees

I was thinking of putting my new hives in my chicken yard since it is a nice sunny area. Do chickens eat bees? I think I heard guineas do.

I too am putting my new bees in the yard with chickens (very large yard). I have seen the chickens walk by a bee or wasp on the ground take a look at it and always keep going. any other insect is snatched up PDQ! that said I was visiting a new beek friend ( new friend to me been in the bees most of his life) who also has chickens and bees in a much smaller yard who told me that every now and then one of his chickens will go over to the hive and snatch a bee and run. It is my bet that the first time they get stung in the mouth or the crop will be the last time they eat a bee. Chickens are not as dumb as most people would have you think some things they learn quick.
    I would very much like to hear anyone's experances who keeps bees and chickens also as my only other placement options are right next to my swimming pool, or in the front yard near the houses next door.

I have bees and chickens and no problems at all
    some folks even think the chickens help by eating wax moths

Dave

Default Good place to keep bees

A chicken yard is an excellent place to keep bees.
    I kept bees in a chicken yard for years. I also had guineas in the same yard.
    They will not bother your bees.
    You might find that the chickens are a good deterrent to small hive beetles and their larva.
    In fact I wish I still had chickens and guineas for that reason.

Default Bees and chickens

I don't see a problem with that. However I moved mine out a long time ago, getting tired on stepping on chicken poop while doing some clean work, like taking honey off. Also, when it gets dry the dust of the chickens was more dominant and I did not like that. As we had a rooster sometimes activities got quite extrem without any respect for the hives. I did not like that too much.
    However, the chickens like to eat the cut off drone brood I feed them. I do drone management to keep varroa mites under control. That means I put in a frame with a strip of wax mounted to the top bar and wires accross. Placed between two drawn frames on the outside of the brood nest on each side the bees draw drone cells and in about 40 days after introducing that frame in May you have drone brood, some covered but non hatched. Most varroa is removed with such brood. I cut the wax back to the strip and place the remains on a board for the chickens to peck on. Eventually I take the remaining wax and store it bee tight. I recycle my own wax every second or 3rd year. An excerpt is on youtube.

Quote Originally Posted by beekinjax View Post
    I would very much like to hear anyone's experances who keeps bees and chickens also as my only other placement options are right next to my swimming pool, or in the front yard near the houses next door.
    Last edited by Barry; 02-18-2009 at 01:31 PM. Reason: remove advertising

I've had chickens and bees for decades now, but the chickens could always run away from the bees. I worry anytime there are bees with animals confined near them.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

I spend alot of time on my knees in the beeyards and would hate to be knealing in our chicken yard to do beework.

Default Re: Chickens and bees

I used to keep my chickens and bees in the same yard, a hive got really hot this year and while I was attempting to work them they began to go after the chickens. One died yesterday from over 20 stings to her face before I could get her out of there.

I would advise caution if you aren't re-queening often to maintain calm genetics.

I have no problems here. The chickens walk by the hives with little interest.
    "My wife always wanted girls. Just not thousands and thousands of them......"

I think the biggest thing would be cross contamination of poultry by products and honey, pollen and such. It would be next to impossible to keep the the area clean. In fact, with having chickens for 8 years, i would say impossible to prevent any source of cross contamination of chicken poop, dander, dust, manure out of raw, unpasturized honey...samonella anyone....
    Think about it
    If you drop your hive tool, are you going to have clean potable water around to wash, and then disinfect your tool?
    If you examine your hives, are what are you going to do with that frame that you now can not set on the ground due to diseases, or bacteria and viruses from poultry
    When you pull honey can you guarranttee..100% with out a shadow of a doubt that not even a corner of a super landed on the ground?
    If you knee on the ground
    If you get chicken poop on your boot or leg

Then lets talk about the honey house and cross contamination...
    What about that wheeler you used to cart the supers from the chicken yard to the honey house and then in the honey house...got a what 6-7 foot long boot wash mat with "vickon" in it to clean the wheel of the wheeler?
    What about the bottom of the super pallet...or what ever you put your honey supers on. They were on the ground in the chicken yard and are now on the honey house floor

We need to remember we sell a raw product. This product in it's very nature has properties to prevent molding, fermenting, spoiling. However, introduce samonella into your honey, get one person sick, and your rep is out the window. Never mind the possibllity of a law suit or new laws and regs that would be brought in on prep of honey

Lastly, what about the bees? I dare say, i would not like to see our bees drink from our chicken founts. I would not like them drinking out of a puddle in the chicken yard in a rain. How much can a bee or hive handle the constant barage of bacteria in the hive...
    ...food for thought...
    HS

I let my chickens out the last two hours of daylight every day. They scratch and grub close up and all around the hive in my backyard, and come to think of it, I've had less SHB in that hive than the others.