Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default California water shortage

Interesting clip about Calf water problems and how the EPA and other "environmental" groups are the cause. One clip shows the reporter in an almond field with bees in the background. (so its bee related in a way)

http://www.foxnews.com/video-search/...salad_bowl.htm

I said it long ago that there is going to be a huge backlash against the environmentalist when people who have never gone hungry or thirsty or without jobs do and then no one is going to care how much of the environment is destroyed. There has to be some kind of balance. When one cuts out the other completely (as in zero water allocation) then that is when the problems are going to occur.
    Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid. John Wayne

Alpha6,
    I'm sure you've got a specific image in mind when you mention "environmentalist." There are some who don't want people to go hungry or thirsty or without jobs. (Then again, if we destroy the environment, won't everyone go hungry, thirsty, and without jobs?)

"There has to be some kind of balance." I agree with you. I think it can be found. But it won't be found by one side of the issue or the other. It will be found by those seeking it, those who realize that the solution includes those that wear the other "title". It will be found by those who don't have knee-jerk reactions to the other side, but those whe want to build a bridge that allows both sides to not only meet in the middle, but cross to the other side as well.
    WayaCoyote

maybe turning off that lawn sprinkler might be a good start,
    Ian Steppler >> Canadian Beekeeper's Blog
    www.stepplerfarms.com

While the recent storms have been good ,and more is on the way,apparently it isn't going to be enough to fill the reservoirs.Just enough rain to mess up the almond pollination ,perhaps.
    http://www.redding.com/news/2009/feb...ose-to-ending/

"I said it long ago that there is going to be a huge backlash against the environmentalist when people who have never gone hungry or thirsty or without jobs do and then no one is going to care how much of the environment is destroyed" A6

If one thinks we have hunger and thirst now; wait until the environment is destroyed. It wont sustain bees or people. All living things are linked somehow in the food web.

Ian I love that sentiment, death to lawns... they feed nothing and divert precious resources that could be used for food production. How about xeriscaped pollinator forage for our front yards instead? Lawns and pavement make for poor bee forage so we should all plant locally adapted species to benefit pollinators and minimize water consumption.
    Last edited by JBJ; 02-17-2009 at 10:55 AM. Reason: addition
    John B Jacob www.oldsolbees.com

Your are preaching to the choir. You would be amazed at how many people think that meat and veggies come from the store and have no clue as to how it gets there. How many people that bite into a hunk of steak say "man, I hope when they put the bolt into this cows brain it didn't suffer much."
    Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid. John Wayne

It will be a hard sell to the people of California that Food, so long taken for granted, is far more important than swimming pools, hot tubs and lawns. A finite supply of fresh water and ever growing demand equals drastic hardship. Californians just don't know what hardship is. But are probably going to start learning.

In the last long term weather forcast I heard for Southern Ca I believe the phrase "dust bowl" was used. If this is the case there will be major long term implications for the almond pollination scnenario.
    Last edited by JBJ; 02-17-2009 at 11:16 AM. Reason: misspel

>Californians just don't know what hardship is

Thats probably true of most Americans.
    (Except us redneck mountain people who know all about gardens,hand pumps,outhouses ,sharp knives and firearms.)

...and bees and moonshine

And of course my Bible for those cold winter nights with no electricity(I have lots of beeswax candles ).
    The Northern orchards should be OK for water,but the Westlands may be in for reductions in acreage.The frenzied planting of recent years is over, now that the reality of a diminished water supply is sinking in,along with reduced world demand.
    Whats left will be be sustainable,hopefully.

....Hounds(blueticks) and Whitetails!!!!!!

Give me a pack of Walkers bred for bear and cat, and a fresh snow and I am outta here.

My sister, who grew up running running around on the same farm I did where we grew most of our own food, has since gotten her masters and run off to la. The last time she visited she told me that farming was a complete waste of time as when she needs a head of lettuce or a gallon of milk all she has to do is run to the grocery store.
    There was no arguing with her... believe me I tried.

I had just about talked myself out of planting a garden.Now I got it back on my mind. The Exodos from California could be just as greart as the rush to Ca. during gold rush days and dust bowl days during the Great Depression. The milk is going sour in the land of milk and honey?
    Last edited by swabby; 02-17-2009 at 06:01 PM.

When I was in school in SD one of the ag fraternity boys was giving a tour to parents. One of them wanted to see were they sheared pigs. Ends up she thought bacon was cut off the sides like wool. When he finally convinced her what bacon was she nearly fainted. She didn't even get it was muscle and fat!

I grew up in yuppiville and still knew were food came from.

Default bees and moonshine

and more moonshine

Looks like LA might start rationing water again.
    http://www.reuters.com/article/domes...51H0AL20090218
    Sheri

Default Environmentalists to blame?

Lets face it, there is not enough water to go around in that area. If the ecosytem of the source for that water to the farmers collapses then not just the farmers will suffer but 23 million others for lack of potable water. You can chose I guess now but make a wise choice. Of course you can say all is fine now so let the fish die and take the chance. Its up to you but I think it is not fair to blame the environmentalist for the situation that California is in. maybe the farming methods have to change to low water consumption crops to make it sustainable. Obviously at present it is not. Sorry to be so harsh but it is going to get worse over the next 10 years, just watch it and be prepared. At that time there will be too much water along the coasts, flooding most low laying area during high tides. Those areas are now used to grow most of the foods for our consumption. We will then blame the environmentalists for not having said enough about global warming. Talk to you in 10 years. After all its none of my business, sorry to worry you.

Quote Originally Posted by alpha6 View Post
    Interesting clip about Calf water problems and how the EPA and other "environmental" groups are the cause. One clip shows the reporter in an almond field with bees in the background. (so its bee related in a way)

http://www.foxnews.com/video-search/...salad_bowl.htm

I said it long ago that there is going to be a huge backlash against the environmentalist when people who have never gone hungry or thirsty or without jobs do and then no one is going to care how much of the environment is destroyed. There has to be some kind of balance. When one cuts out the other completely (as in zero water allocation) then that is when the problems are going to occur.

It does seem a shame to keep all those L.A.lawns going when water is being cut off to the growers .I would be more impressed if I saw some clover and dandelions in that grass
    California has always been a land of floods and drought.Nothing new there . The only difference is now there are way too many people here for the amount of water available during the drought years.Could this be the start of a 200 year drought?
    http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpag...pagewanted=all

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast