Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default Starving singles in 2009 Almonds

For all you out of state'rs who brought bees in to the almonds and went back home with your annual paycheck: Get some rubber boots on your feet and a syrup bucket in your hand.

2/11/09

The weather forcast (Northern California) for the next ten days looks like the end of the bloom in 06. If you have strong singles or bees without much feed on them they will be starving before the end of the bloom unless the weather breaks. Snow down to 1500 feet tommorow with the highs only forecast in the 50's for the next ten days. Good luck !!!!!!!!!

Default California conditions

No problem we'll just bring in a few more Australian bees they are so much better than the US bees. Plus it's beneficial to the local state and national economy to be sending that money down under.

Default Out of staters

Who DIDN'T get their paycheck, will be moving in to something to feed their bees, like BLOOMING ORCHARDS!!...

Follow the money trail. I am sure someone is getting a kickback on these Aussie bees. Can't you Calf. beeks get together and partition to keep these bees out of the state? For that matter it seems like a good thing to be brought up in the next Annual American Honey Producers Assoc. meeting. We need a lobby of beeks and beek friendly organizations to start working harder on keeping the tainted Chinese and other imported honey out and out of country bees as well.

I was going to say that the National Honey Board should be working on these, but one of the board members is too busy mixing in tainted Chinese honey into American honey to be worried about American Beeks interest.
    Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid. John Wayne

Looks like its gonna be a real wet month.Time to make a sugar run today and get ready to slog out into the wet orchards.There will always be some that can use some feed.
    If unable to drive to them with syrup,keep in mind that a backpack with 50 lbs of dry sugar and a pan dipper will keep them alive in an emergency situation.

Default National honey board annoucement

We regret to inform you that we will no longer be producing regular monthly BeeMail issues. You are welcome to use the "unsubscribe" link below to remove yourself from our e-mail list.
    We have also moved our head office to Bejing , so our directors do not have so far to travel

Default Ahpa

Is actively lobbying, RIGHT NOW on our behalf to stop the importation of Australian bees. It's expensive though.

Default American Honey Producers Assoc.

Like Tom said these guys are actually working on behalf of the US Beekeeper. And like Tom mentioned lobbying is expensive.

So if you would like to support their efforts for the benefit of all of us consider becoming a member.

http://www.americanhoneyproducers.or...membership.htm
    Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid. John Wayne

I for one beekeeper like being able to get Aussie packages if I need to. Has only happened once but saved our almond contracts and we were very happy with the bees.

Aussie packages have been a valuable tool to a few beekeepers doing almonds. Little value when U.S. package and queen producers are up an running.

Like all tools demand drops when need drops. One Aussie supplier told me he sent a fifth of the packages in this season as he did the last few years.

Aussie packages went into Canada without problems for over two decades. IAPV has been in the U.S. for years and did not come first from the Aussie import ( like our so called experts said) and there is absolutely no proof IAPV is an issue in a bee with a strong immune system.

How about we don't get into one of those contests! You folks are capable of expressing yourselves better.............

Thanks
    "Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts." Winston Churchill

Welcome aboard Missoura. I'm glad your experience with Assie bees has been better than mine. I bought a couple hundred queens two years ago to try and they were a complete failure. Started off gangbusters but then 90% got the worst chalk I've ever seen. Most didn't make into winter their fist year. Lots of Nosema too.

Anyway, back on topic. I'm heading out next week to feed my light hives. One more trip to California.....Ugh!!!!
    -Rob Bliss
    Bliss Honey and bee supplies

I'm not sure that the Australian imports into Canada have been 'trouble free'.

"Kashmir Bee Virus (KBV) was diagnosed in the Fraser Valley in the spring of 2004, in a commercial operation whose honeybee colonies had declined and subsequently died. It has also been recently found in colonies that appear healthy.

The virus had previously been diagnosed in British Columbia in the early 1980s, in honeybee stock originally imported from Australia and New Zealand. At that time, well before the Varroa mite arrived, no symptoms had been observed and therefore, KBV was not a concern. "
    http://www.agf.gov.bc.ca/apiculture/...30_kashmir.htm

Although this is off topic about the cold weather and the rain I would hardily disagree that the Aussie queens are horrendous when it comes to chalk brood for sure and possibly some unknown things also. Over ten thousand of the AU packages went in within 20 miles of me the past month and all I can say is I'm glad my mating yards for queens are far away enough from where they jump to after the Almonds. These Aussie queens have no "experience" in their genetics with the mites all the other junk we've been dealing with and don't survive the winter as a result. In the long run I don't think their DRONES will be helpful in our battle with the mites etal. They are great for saving your *** if all your bees die in the winter but aren't part of the long term solution we need. Unless you requeen them ASAP they will do you no good in the long run. One of the big beeks by me who has purchesed nearly 10k of them the last three years has continued to have some of the biggest losses around.

How many US beeks that have hives unrented in the Almonds or recieved a crumby price because of the AU packages are happy they are here?

The only thing I can say positive about them is that if they are the only thing holding back the Canadian and Mexican hives from promenading into the Almonds at any time in the future I'm all for them. For those who are working on keeping them out please remember there are possible ramifications to doing so. The Almond growers have a whole lot more political clout than we do. You might get something worse than the problems we have now!!!!!!

I was told by a reliable source that the almond board wrote a letter stating that they no longer felt aussie pkgs were needed. Along with AHPA, ABF and PAm.
    My experience with them was not good lots of chalk brood and never made much honey. Short term solution to a long term problem.

Default Aussie Packages

A long time family friend got some aussie packages this winter; and they were infest with SHB. Buyer beware!

I'd have to agree with Nick On the Aussie pacs. Better than nothing but not by much. They must be requeened otherwise unlikely they will be around 12 months later. Lots of chalkbrood, kinda defensive bees, don't produce lots of honey. If they are split then the queenless unit will lose so many adult bees, they fly off and commit suicide. This has been my experience with 2 of the 3 main suppliers. I realize not all suppliers are equal. Judging by the reports looks like some things never change. So in my opinion too say that those bees have been problem free for the Canadians is a bit of a stretch.

One huge difference between the U.S. and Canadian market was the freight. The U.S. bees go from Sydney to the States non stop. The bees destined for Canada would go thru Hong Kong. So they would get off the plane sit on the tarmac then eventually go in cold storage then embark on the flight to Vancouver about 22 hours later. This was the biggest risk in the whole deal. Leaving a pallet of bees to the airport folks in Hong Kon. It's hot at that time of the year. Lots of loads got damaged that way. Someone forgot to do their job at the airport. That was a hard learning curve for the airport folks, it came at the expense of the suppliers. The airport folks kinda figured it out but every year at least one pallet would get damaged on the way to Canada.

Jean-Marc

Second the posts 13 & 14. If we can get the imports halted it will take a few years to undo the damage. Mites virus and chalk will cull the most susceptible, but the hybrids with our heartier local stock may be another story. There may be a few good traits to be had, but at what price?

The market affects associated with long term drought in the forecast plus the risk from T. clariae and A. cerana make imports more problematic and dangerous than ever.
    John B Jacob www.oldsolbees.com

Default Shb

Matt, Know you are in Central Valley. Where is your friends outfit located? Does this mean we are in for hive beetle infestation in CA or the C valley?

I think they have been there for a while and just kept hush.
    John B Jacob www.oldsolbees.com

Quote Originally Posted by Honey-4-All View Post
    The only thing I can say positive about them is that if they are the only thing holding back the Canadian and Mexican hives from promenading into the Almonds
    I think as long as canadians don't allow US pacs and bees on comb into Canada, you won't need to worry about canadian bees in almonds.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast