Default my bees are alive and fisty

I went out to the hives for the first time since Dec, the snow is deep and hard to wade thru, when i got near, i could see where they had been out cleaning them selves ect. so I was reasonable sure they were all alive.I opened one hive and they shot out of there like mad yellow jackets, I quickly put the lid back on and went back to get my vail.
    they had almost cleaned out the candy board, good thing I checked. the other hives were in the same shape, low on candy, I'll let them cool off and replace the boards this weekend.

That's pretty common when you pop a cover in the winter. If it's warm enough and if they're close to the top, they'll "greet" you just like that. When they start finding pollen and even nectar, they'll be too busy to bother you much.

All bets are off if you're queenless!
    "My wife always wanted girls. Just not thousands and thousands of them......"

Today my bees are out flying I'm so happy... This is the first time I have seen them flying since fall because it has been so cold and you know that white stuff. I don't dare say the word I dont dare open the top today. I will wait until this weekend also to add another pollen patty. I pray for spring to come fast!

Eileen

Default Wonderful thing

I got my first chance since winter set in to check the girls. They were out enmass carrying off the casualties of the winter months.

What a great feeling to know they are doing well, and all my worries were for not!

God Bless
    Hope yall have the same kind of story as this, sure is nice
    A beekeeper is not what I am, it's what I aspire to become.

Default mine are alive too

This is my very first post here, so if I say or ask something dumb, please forgive.

I've kept a close eye on my girls this month, since January was wicked cold here in northern wisconsin. This week the temp was up in the 40's, though, and today when I checked them there was a small crew hanging out at the entrance, and every now and then a couple would take off and fly around a bit. Some were removing the dead ones. When I scraped a few corpses off the front step, several guards immediately poked their heads out and glared at me (I'm sure of it!) Also, a steady hum could be heard from the hive. I didn't open the hive - I think it's still too cold to do that - but the ones that were out didn't seem particularly angry or agitated. Pretty much the same friendly behavior I saw last fall.

So, is this the way they should be acting? Also, when and what should I feed?

Sounds good, you got them this far. You should check to see how much honey they got. Don't disturb them to much now in the cold. They will fly out and not make it back. 30-35 deg you can very carefully( depending on stock) tip up cover. If it has not been opened since last fall be carefull not to "snap" hive open. If it does and the bees start to roar let be for a while. Very slowly tip cover away from you and quickly check honey stores. You should have capped honey right up to the cluster. The queen should be laying so depending on hive strength and there resistence to abandon brood and move to the honey tipping the hive to check weight could cause them to starve. Many recipes on web for candy boards and they are easy to make. If they are short on honey or if it is not right next to the cluster give them a candy board. It's cheap insurance. Once it gets in the 50's you can manipulate them more and feed them warm syrup.