Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

How much honey does it hold

3K views 9 replies 8 participants last post by  beedeetee 
#1 ·
How many pounds dose a glass quart jar hold

#5 ·
The specific gravity of honey is about 1.4 and will vary a little depending on the moister content. That means that honey weighs about 1.4 times what water does. To figure out what any container will hold in honey weight, take the weight of the container capacity as labeled (which is the standard weight of water, specific gravity of 1.0) and multiply by 1.4. That will get you very close to the actual weight of the honey it will contain.

Container size X 1.4 = Honey weight

#8 ·
Jelly jars as far as I know are all measured by liquid weight. Dry weight is so difficult to standardize that you will rarely fine containers (glass anyway) that are calibrated for dry weight. Most likely what you might find is a bottle unmarked in the glass for weight and the dry weight contents on the label. Or glass that does have a capacity on it but has the dry weight again on the label.

If your concern is about labeling, you would be correct in wanting to get it right. You can get yourself into some hot water in most places for false advertising by selling a quantity less than you advertise. I know at least some states mandate package weights on honey.

I imagine that if you were going to use a non standard bottle of some kind on a regular basis. You would want to measure the weight the container with lid and then again measure after filled. Subtract the empty weight from the filled weight (tare weight) and label accordingly. You would always do well to err in the customers favor just a tiny bit to cover yourself.

#9 ·
If you have an unmarked jar, I suppose you could fill it with water, measure that, then use the 1.4x conversion. Obviously, weighing would be the more accurate method.

#10 ·
I use a scale for the first couple of jars of the year. The scale I use lets me zero after putting the jar on the scale. A quart is almost exactly 3 lbs. After I put 3 lbs in a couple of jars using the scale I fill the rest and spot check them. But a full looking quart jar will be 3 lbs with the honey that we get around here.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.