Default Expectations / Goals

Well i have everything ready to go in the spring.
    I will be purchasing 2, 4 frame nucs in a few months..
    i have about 4 or 5 deeps and supers with frames ready, just waiting on foundation.

My question is what should be my goals to achieve for next winter..
    Should i strive for 2 strong hives that will overwinter well?

Or with feeding can i do splits in the summer and get 4 strong hives?

2 nucs is all i can afford really, and i would like to be able to keep expanding every year till i hit 10-20 hives.

Quote Originally Posted by Coon View Post
    Well i have everything ready to go in the spring.
    I will be purchasing 2, 4 frame nucs in a few months..
    i have about 4 or 5 deeps and supers with frames ready, just waiting on foundation.

My question is what should be my goals to achieve for next winter..
    Should i strive for 2 strong hives that will overwinter well?

Or with feeding can i do splits in the summer and get 4 strong hives?

2 nucs is all i can afford really, and i would like to be able to keep expanding every year till i hit 10-20 hives.

The first year will be a growing year - comb, that is. I'd strive on building up the two colonies (hope they last the first winter), and you'll most likely get some honey from the nucs this year as well. Well drawn out comb is your biggest asset in beekeeping, and the following year you can use it to your advantage, and have them draw out more, and do splits... You'll see. Have fun!

MM

Default Goals

I would try to keep them healty,well fed and as mite free as I could. I would strive for 2 strong hives going into winter. The weather will play a big part in what you can do this summer? like making splits, or let them build up strong before winter( may have to feed). If you make splits,you probably won't be able to take any honey off,the first year. Good luck. Jack

"Should I strive for 2 strong hives that will overwinter well?"

If this is your first year that's what I would do also. Next spring and summer, if the colonies are strong, is the time when they might swarm. Waiting until next year to make splits will be part of your swarm prevention management plan.

Quote Originally Posted by Oldbee View Post
    If this is your first year that's what I would do also. Next spring and summer, if the colonies are strong, is the time when they might swarm. Waiting until next year to make splits will be part of your swarm prevention management plan.
    I'll agree with the others: Year One should be for learning and building strong colonies.

As an aside, are you connected to any local beeks? The ISBA will be holding their spring meeting in Columbus March 14th. One of breakout sessions will be Beginning Beekeeping Spring Mgmt. Details will be posted at www.hoosierbuzz.com soon. The IBA is holding their spring meeting in Indy Feb 28th (http://indianabeekeeper.goshen.edu/Beekeepers.html). And lastly, there's a local club in your area - Southeast Indiana Beeks Assn. They're having a new beekeepers workshop on March 21st over in Friendship, IN. Contact Jon Wismann for info: jwismann @ hotmail.com.
    Last edited by indypartridge; 02-06-2009 at 06:58 AM.

Two hives that produce enough honey to get through winter, if you are thinking of splitting do that next spring.