Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

First mud now snow. You better keep the chains handy.

Got home yesterday.
    All the bees look great, all rented for a good price.
    Seemed like the good extra bees were being used up.
    Now if we can keep them from starving in this weather.

allmy beesmade grade and are in. I do know a beek who has about 160 hives he needs to rent in central ca so if anyone knows of a orchard needing them let me know!

Delivering more tonight, then running the feed truck for the next 3 days, outlook is cold and rainy until next sunday, no bloom for the bees to work.

Took a lot of heat from a new grower this season, wanted his bees in by feb 4th, because his field was blooming! , not a flower yet and now I have to spend time & money feeding them.

Everything is rented, and lmost beeks I now have used all their extra hives, SAtill lots of time to deliver hives.

Larry

Pollination weather conditions

Ernie
    My websitehttp://bees4u.com/

if any one knows of anyone needing bees around Fresno let me know. I have a friend who has about 160 extras.

Default Bees 4 rent

Old friend of mine, 3rd gen Calif bkpr, superbees, coming off winter honeyflows, you wouldn't want to sit next to him, looking at 1800 colonies w/o a home right now.

Everything went well, still have 300 extra. But for how many go in, not too big a deal. If anyone has some don't make grade, and need some let me know. If it wasn't for one grower cutting back from his regular 2300 to 1800 or another 1300 to 1100 I would have been OK. Do think I should invest in a crystal ball.

1000 extra.Dont want to play the cheap game.Dont give up hope though.With all the rain those empty cheap $75.00 boxes might just pop up.Keep the fingers crossed.Let it rain.

Default you wouldn't want to sit next to him

Can you elaborate on the statement.
    I can see too many hives in one floral locality and that would influence your hives productivity.
    Ernie
    Ernie

Quote Originally Posted by high rate of speed View Post
    With all the rain those empty cheap $75.00 boxes might just pop up.:
    Hey Lou, get it right, $ 50 for empties, $100 with some bees ( field run)& 8 frame, priceless.

Unloading at "Richard Pryor's" place this morning.... He read that ad, LOL left even him speechless in the orchard this morning.

Ernie, I think the reason you would not want to sit next to that 3rd generation California beekeeper is that he's probably feeling grouchy at this time and is likely to bite someone's head off, especially as it sounds like he has very good bees.

Jean-Marc

Default likely to bite someone's head off

ok, I fully understand.
    Ernie
    Ernie

Default Sit next to him

His bees make everyone else's look like #2s

Default Fan club

No keith,not your pretty white boxes,the outfit that is running from Bakersfeild to Reeding with those wonderful feild run bees for $75.00.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom G. Laury View Post
    His bees make everyone else's look like #2s
    Tom, That is a crime, alot of these packages & junk boxes that should never be let in a orchard while good bees look for a home.

P.S. #2s

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Jarrett View Post
    Tom, That is a crime, alot of these packages & junk boxes that should never be let in a orchard while good bees look for a home.
    The problem is that our customers are growers and not beekeepers. Most are quite ignorant to what goes on in that white box but they expect good pollination.
    When I started out with my since over-grown hobby, just about every grower of just about every bee-pollinated crop that knew I had bees asked how they could judge the strength of the colonies in their orchard. I've even been asked to open other beeks hives and report back to the grower.(I declined)
    If growers don't know how to tell quality from junk, can you blame them for renting junk for a little less money?

Default In addition

I could have sent my bees out to the almonds this year as I now have plenty of white boxes and contacts but I'm smart enough to know that what's inside will only run down my name and keep good bees out of the field.
    If everyone made that choice there would be plenty of room for good bees.

Default Keith

It is truly a crime and a sign that something is terribly wrong.

In my neck of the woods it's a huge problem but I was under the impression that California had it's act together. Isn't grading done on all fields? Does the financial incentive keep good bees in and poor out? We don't have a grading system here so the only deciding factor for farmers is cost. As a beekeeper it's better to split as hard as you can and put smaller units out and don't be the high cost guy. In our market here, there is no room for high quality. Some growers recognize the quality but don't want to acknolwedge that it costs more to the beekeeper to produce the quality. So at the end of the day there is no financial motive to produce the highest quality hives possible. The terribly frustrating part is that we can be talking about a $5-10 difference in cost.

Jean-Marc

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast