Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Default Hives wanted?

Just heard about several hundred hives wanted to help fill contract in southern area, (using Blue Diamond areas.) The offer was $80 for 8-frames. In past years request for last minute fill-ins were at a premium price, not a cut-rate? Seems late and low $.

Economy, water.... 2010 should be interesting.

Water report is out and West side is not getting any water allotments at all. This is talking to a grower friend of mine who is a huge west side farmer. Some of his friends canceled contracts with beekeepers and is dozing over some of the groves. Not a good out look at all. At least not for the 2nd of March.

On a good note I got a call Feb 12th while at the Huge Farm show in Tulare of a new Almond grower looking for bees for his small 20 acre place. It is the first year they are placing bees into this orchard. He wanted 15 ya I know odd number for pallets. But I had some on reg bottom boards. I did not have 15 hives but had a great person I have met and he covered the extra 2 pallets I needed for this grove. I should have enough hives next year to fully cover this grove. I placed 7 hives and took out a half hive to build up on the pollen. They are growing well. We placed them that weekend on Sat the 14th of Feb. And My friend placed the 2 pallets on the following tuesday on the next rain break. It rained that sunday-Wed so it was not a good time to move the bees in. But it got done the last of them on that Wed when it was sunny. The Grove had buds ready to open on the 14th of Feb and by that Thursday which was sunny and warm the grove was almost totally in full bloom. And the hives were bussing alive. I walked right up to my hives and looked at them with no protection on and I freaked out the grower. He yelled at me saying careful you will get hurt lmao. He was totally shocked I was that close looking at them. I got a good price I neg with the grower. WE got a contract signed and the rest of the money is due when we pick up. I have to call him as he said he might do half of that on the first of the month. So it was not as big when we picked up the bees. He said he would use me next year and we can work out something now for next year.

As far as others I have talked to many still have un placed bees. As many had there contracts reduced or canceld. I was surprized to have gotten a call from this guy as he did not find me off the internet. As he does not do the internet. I was not thinking almonda would happen this year. But it did. I know he was wanting a low price at first and I talked him up to what I got him to now. And That was a good thing. Anyway I am sorry for those that dont have placements and I am sorry for those that had losses. It is going to be a rough year for everyone. Good luck for 2009/10 pollination season

Angi Harrover
    Central Ca near Fresno
    Angi of HHH Farms Hanford Ca
    Organic Farm & heritage, rare breed poultry, ducks, quail

good job angi h. sounds like your doing what i call niche marketing. filling a need that bigger operations aren't. i have few hives and no desire to be a trucker so i place pollen traps on my hives this time of year for human consumption. it can be a local market that bigger operations don't care to mess with.
    all that is gold does not glitter

Great news Angie. I read some of your posts and knew you had been struggling, so I am glad to hear of this. Best to you.
    Try to learn something new every day and give thanks for all your blessings.

Ya I do that to. I need to purchase some more pollen traps. As I sold my last jar of 08 pollen the other day. I get for a one lb plastic honey jar size 20.00. I take it for my health as well. I also make propolis tincture and mouth wash as it is great for cavities and tooth infections. ANd helps take care of bad bacteria in the mouth. My mom had an infected tooth and started putting a few drops of the propolis tincture on it and after a few days it started feeling better and then the infection went away after about a week give or take a few days. She now swears by this. Anyway I will place traps on the strong hives once they are home. As I can not run to where they are placed in Almonds to open the traps every other day. I can better handle it here.

Angi

Quote Originally Posted by stangardener View Post
    good job angi h. sounds like your doing what i call niche marketing. filling a need that bigger operations aren't. i have few hives and no desire to be a trucker so i place pollen traps on my hives this time of year for human consumption. it can be a local market that bigger operations don't care to mess with.

Thanks my hope is to grow. It was hard moving them all by hand when we had to rent a flat bed trailer. But I shall soon one of these days have a flat bed truck and trailer and then one of these days I will get me a used fork lift. I have faith. The good part about it is that I will have this grove for next year.

Angi
    Last edited by Angi_H; 03-03-2009 at 07:48 PM. Reason: boobooed

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234