Default package or nuc production

I've been sidelining for 6 years now (~25 hives) and have planning a retirement driven move into getting more serious about my beek ambitions. Have been toying with getting serious about selling nuc's. Problem is i don't really have an idea if the demand is really there. Is it realistic to move 500-600+ nucs a year or are packages a better business? Is it realistic to be that small in the business?

I am in a weak area for honey, 50lbs a year is a good year unless I want to go into the trucking business. We are long on pollen but short on nectar - too dry. There are spotty soybeans and pollenation opportunities for melons and pumpkins (but even less nectar). There are pecans too but they don't pay.

There is cotton about 8 hours one way and tallow 6 hours the other way.

Basicly it just boils down to I can raise lots of bees but it's hard scrabble to try and make it on honey around here. Thought I'd give it some serious consideration. Any advice?

Thanks for any advice you've got.
    Last edited by wfarler; 02-04-2009 at 11:09 PM.
    "Beware of all enterprises that require new clothes"
    Henry David Thoreau, Walden

Try both nucs and packages and see what works best. Sell some local, some through the mail, and maybe ship a load of nucs to a beek in the Dakotas to either buy or run for you in exchange for half the honey.

I don't think that's too small. Some of the my best queens come from "smaller" producers. Good luck!
    -Rob Bliss
    Bliss Honey and bee supplies

Default thanks for the encouragement

my wife thinks I crazy sometimes so thank you for the encouragement.
    "Beware of all enterprises that require new clothes"
    Henry David Thoreau, Walden

you will have to look into a supplemental feeding program, to help your bees build along.
    Ian Steppler >> Canadian Beekeeper's Blog
    www.stepplerfarms.com

I've sold bees in the past. Often it's a last minute customer. I'm not comfortable with that, but it seems that if I have them for sale, somebody wants them. It always seems to work out in the end.

Jean-Marc