Default How many corpses are normal?

I know no dead bees is a really bad sign, but how many bees piling up in front of the hive is normal for a winter fare? It's mid 40's out today, and when I went out to look, there are bees buzzing along going on cleansing flights, not looking distressed or ill, but there is a big fan of dead bees in the snow, radiating out from just under the front porch to about 3' away. I opened the top just for a minute and peeked in, everything is dry, there's a bunch of them in there, and they still have plenty of honey stores for the rest of the season.

So.. are bunches of dead bees normal?

Yep, that sounds normal. If nothing is coming to get them they'll pile up and it can look distressing. No signs of nosema (poop on the hives or landing board) and what appears to be a good strength hive clustered in the box with adequate stores? It appears they're doing fine.

I've got something that's coming and chewing the dead up and spitting them out once all of the "juice" is gone. Looks like a bunch of lose wads of snuff. Except, the wads are chewed up bees.
    Last edited by D Coates; 02-04-2009 at 03:40 PM.
    Ninja, is not in the dictionary. Well played Ninja's, well played...

Quote Originally Posted by D Coates View Post
    Yep, that sounds normal. If nothing is coming to get them they'll pile up and it can look distressing. No signs of nosema (poop on the hives or landing board) and what appears to be a good strength hive clustered in the box with edequate stores? It appears they're doing fine.

I've got something that's coming and chewing the dead up and spitting them out once all of the "juice" is gone. Looks like a bunch of lose wads of snuff. Except, the wads are chewed up bees.
    That's reassuring. All their poop seems to fan out in a 10-15' distance around the hive, it's a real mess back there! Thanks for the reply.

D. Coates...isn't that what they say skunks do? Chew them up and spit em out..Thats what I have read. Had 5 hives, looks like one starved out, leaving the 4 looking alive/healthy. Put dry sugar, fondant, and pollen sub. on them about a week ago. Have my fingers crossed. We just went thru about 40 days of never getting above freezing, but have predictions of 40 degrees for coming weekend. Will take a closer look at the girls then. Good Luck All!
    WD9BB, Chuck

They are most likely just cleaning house, make sure they have plenty of stores and feed if not.