Default Basic hive inspection question.

How do you check on the hive while supering? Do you remove all the supers every week to check the brood?

Quote Originally Posted by doc25 View Post
    How do you check on the hive while supering? Do you remove all the supers every week to check the brood?
    I don't tear into the brood chamber while the supers are on unless I think there's some reason to do so. I keep an eye on what's going on out side the hive, that will tell you quite a bit.

I just make sure I stay ahead of them when I'm supering, most of the time that means not even removing a box, just checking a few frames and adding another if needed.

But yes if you need to get into check the brood you have to remove the supers.

K

I dont' really inspect the hives per se. I remove a drone frame from each hive every three weeks as part of my IPM. I do have to remove any supers to get to that top deep hive body where I put the drone frames. If the pulled drone frame doesn't have any brood in it then or isn't cleaned out properly, I look a little deeper to find out what's going on. If I see a queen cell while the hive body is open and a drone frame is removed I'll root around and steal that frame (if they are capped) and a couple of frames of brood and bees (make REAL sure not to accidently steal the current queen) and start some nucs.
    Ninja, is not in the dictionary. Well played Ninja's, well played...

I did my first year of beekeeping but that was more so I could learn. Once I got used to things I just lift the top and add a super. I check for pollen coming in and if I don't see any then I go a little deeper. I do go through them all the way once in the spring and fall, but unless a hive is having problems I don't.