Thread: Name Protection

Question Name Protection

I am wondering how to register for a name for this little (right now ) operation. How do you go about registering and protecting a business name?...A simple question to some, but to an oaf, it's a biggie...Thanks
    Rick~ LtlWilli
    Last edited by LtlWilli; 02-04-2009 at 08:01 AM. Reason: First grade spelling...LOL

Contact the Sec of State office in your state about
    registaring a business name. Most have online sites
    that will get you going.

Texas Sec State

Thanks for setting me straight, Sundance. I appreciate that...I tip my hat.
    Rick ~ LtlWilli.

Wink

I dont know about Texas, but here i would go down to the community collage in the city. They have a small buisness association there that will walk you right through it. Perhaps you have something simmilar?

Careful, you may create a tax liability just by having a registered business.

removed post
    Last edited by Gene Weitzel; 02-04-2009 at 05:04 PM. Reason: Information was incorrect
    "The UNKNOWN, huh? That would be SNORBERT ZANGOX over in Waycross."

"I am wondering how to register for a name for this little (right now ) operation. How do you go about registering and protecting a business name?"

If you want to protect a name, then you want to look at the Patent ofice website, and have a look at their "trademark" area. I registered my business name last year and it cost me about $360 for the U.S. (you can also do this internationally. The primer is here:
    http://www.ehow.com/how_2065536_obta...paign=yssp_art

One thing to consider when naming is What to name it. If you name a promising endever after yourself, for example, and you go to sell, then you may have to sell "your name" for the buyer to keep things going.

You said "this little (right now) operation". Look at Burt's Bees. He sold, but the name went with it (and his image). Not too bad. Now if they had gotten so big using a full name (ie Joshua Brown's Honey) and then it sold, and the company went down hill, how would Mr. Brown's name look? Most beekeepers I know, use a "brand" or farm name rather than their own. We are using our farm name as we sell other produce as well. And we would only sell our production if we sold our farm.
    WayaCoyote

...You have all given me food for thought in great abundance, and I want to thank you guys for the input...I had no idea it was so costly---WOW!!!---All I really want is to label what I am doing here with a catchy name that stand out in the classifieds or any other means of advertising that comes to mind.....Well, back to my chores and rat-killing. I started today on getting my berry patch ready for business and prune my tame muscadines back to a respectable looks.

Look into using a DBA name. Much less costly.

Wayne

Here in Missouri, I opened a checking account some years ago with my SSN and a fictitious name for "business" purposes. The bank called it a DBA or "Doing Business As" account. No charge, simple. It's like a sole proprietorship.

As far as protecting it, I don't think anyone wants the name it's so generic.

Several years later, I went to open a checking account for a "parent's" group that raised money and sold crap to make money for our children's swim team. Somehow my wife nominated me to be treasurer. The team was set up at the school, but the school didn't want to, or couldn't, raise money by selling crap. So I needed a group account, and I needed an account that could be transferred to someone else when I unemcumber myself from this responsibility. And I needed an account that separated me from any potential tax liability of selling crap. (decals, tee-shirts, caps, etc.)

So I went to the same bank and told them my story. I could not use my SSN (thanks to 9/11) and I needed to file a "fictitious" name and tax I.D. number. The lady in the accounts department did all this paperwork for me on-line, and in a matter of 20 minutes had me set up. I think she did it with the I.R.S., but it may have been with the secretary of state's office.

I'd go the bank and tell them what you want and see if they have any idea. Then plead ignorance to see if they want your business and will take the time to set it up. And at that point, you give your business a name and you get a separate tax I.D. #

Grant
    Jackson, MO
    Beekeeping With Twenty-five Hives: https://www.createspace.com/4152725

snip..
    Look into using a DBA name. Much less costly.

tecumseh:
    to elaborate on what wayne and grant suggested ... you do this (in Texas) by first filling out a 'doing business as' form down at the courth house (where ever they keep the county records). I seem to recall it cost something like 20 bucks and you need to renew the thing every 10 years or so. If you have some bank account without your name attached the banking institution will INSIST you have one of these DBA forms filed at the country court house.

And in our county, in Oct you get an estimated property tax bill against that DBA for whatever assets they think the business should have.