Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by greenbeekeeping View Post
    Thats a nice looking truck. Even an auto. Just needs a different bed
    Yea but that's only a weekend project.
    I am holding on to the hope I have inside... Kutless

[QUOTE
    P.S. I love trucks!! Its normally my 2nd question for other beekeepers. (the 1st is what kind of forklift)[/QUOTE]

I would have to agree, because when you see there shop it looks like the gerber dump in most cases.

P.S. the two fastest depreciating capital investments...

Truck & forklifts

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Jarrett View Post
    [QUOTE
    P.S. I love trucks!! Its normally my 2nd question for other beekeepers. (the 1st is what kind of forklift)
    I would have to agree, because when you see there shop it looks like the gerber dump in most cases.

P.S. the two fastest depreciating capital investments...

Truck & forklifts[/QUOTE]

I KNOW but its a love...some people have boats and big screen TVs or go on big vacations...I buy trucks and forklifts and "fix" and play.

Are you talking about my shop? have you seen it? Only the back part looks like a scrap yard but I swear they're all useful...someday

Quote Originally Posted by dbest View Post
    Are you talking about my shop? have you seen it?
    No, haven't seen it & was not referring to it.

What I notice is the ones with the fancy truck & forklifts don't spend much on there shop or work area.

I've been told that I must love my welder and tools more than trucks. Because they are the only constants. The trucks change out.

Yea, I used to weld for a living, my truck and forklift are both 1985, spent $15,000 on both about twenty years ago. The pollen sub business has been good of late, thinking of adding another 6,000 feet to my shop.

Sorry for getting off subjct Rob.

this would make an awesome truck to stretch

http://www.truckpaper.com/listings/d...2756A71C8185BB

Keith:

I guess I stand corrected. Like I said I'm no expert on trucks. Can drive pretty good though.

Jean-Marc

Quote Originally Posted by jean-marc View Post
    Keith:

Like I said I'm no expert on trucks. Jean-Marc
    Jean-Marc, I thought the same thing until I bought one of my water trucks that had both, locking diffs & axels.

KW T800 or International 8600 or FL-112? Does anyone know which would get through the almonds easiest with sloping hood and small turning radius?

Why not just get beefier axles to hold more weight than a tag axle? I'm guessing it must have something to do with weight distribution to be legal rather than easier for the truck.

Thanx for the great comments. Keith, I don't mind getting off subject at all, it's all good.
    -Rob Bliss
    Bliss Honey and bee supplies

TRUCKS and gerber dumps go hand in hand the proof is in the putting.LOL. the bee hive.

Default Love paperwork and fees???

Oh the joys of big trucks (26000 gvw or over) here in California:

Commercial license with medical certificate every two years.
    Pull Notice Program - informs you if you or you're drivers license's are valid.
    Alcohol and Drug testing Program - just what it says.
    BIT Inspection Program - CHP inspects your rig and paperwork every two years.
    Motor Carrier Permit - a special number on the door of your truck that enriches the public coffer.
    The list goes on.

I don't keep any papers or play their dumb game...and according to this, I don't have to:

this is the part its talking about:

http://www.fmcsa.dot.gov/rules-regul...016334800238a8

Subpart A—General

391.2 General exemptions.
    (a) Farm custom operation. The rules in this part do not apply to a driver who drives a commercial motor vehicle controlled and operated by a person engaged in custom-harvesting operations, if the commercial motor vehicle is used to—

(a)(1) Transport farm machinery, supplies, or both, to or from a farm for custom-harvesting operations on a farm; or

(a)(2) Transport custom-harvested crops to storage or market.

(b) Apiarian industries. The rules in this part do not apply to a driver who is operating a commercial motor vehicle controlled and operated by a beekeeper engaged in the seasonal transportation of bees.

(c) Certain farm vehicle drivers. The rules in this part do not apply to a farm vehicle driver except a farm vehicle driver who drives an articulated (combination) commercial motor vehicle as defined in 390.5. (For limited exemptions for farm vehicle drivers of articulated commercial motor vehicles see 391.67.)

Related Links
    Disclaimer

Interpretation

http://www.fmcsa.dot.gov/rules-regul...yword=apiarian

BTW: We have 3 Full siize trucks and one is in Fresno right now with farm plates and only a DOT number no records no medical card no log book!

Dbest,
    even with farm plates though, don't you still have to have a CDL and stop at all the weigh stations? Do you truck all your own bees out to Cali yourself?
    -Rob Bliss

Quote Originally Posted by pahvantpiper View Post
    Dbest,
    even with farm plates though, don't you still have to have a CDL and stop at all the weigh stations? Do you truck all your own bees out to Cali yourself?
    Yes I have a CDL and I do stop at the weigh stations. I carry a copy of the FMVSS book with me and often have to play the role of a kindergarten teacher and read the laws to them. My father drove a load out last Sunday. We hired the other loads. It keeps getting more and more difficult to deal with trucking companys. I trucked them to Ga.

"I carry a copy of the FMVSS book with me and often have to play the role of a kindergarten teacher and read the laws to them."

I love it! There are so many regulations on trucking out there the cops can't even keep up with it and yet if we don't we're fined.
    -Rob Bliss

I have to agree with Jean-Marc, all 8 rear tires pulling off road are best with a big truck.A 4 way locker set of tandems. They are not common on most highway tractors,but when engaged all four sets of tires turn,not just one end on each axle.
    A 6 foot Canadian spread is also nice ,in which the tandems are spread apart 6 feet, and pulls better on uneven terrain, which all helps with a heavy truck and load off road
    Where there are fruits and nuts there are beekeepers!!!

>>Freightliner, International, Kenworth, Pete., etc.?
    Horsepower?
    Lock-in rear differential?
    How heavy of axles?
    How long of bed? I'm thinking 25 feet. 288 hives.
    sleeper, or is this just a waste of space?
    What other options?

I will toss a few thoughts into the discussion.

We have a Freightliner, big Detroit. But we pull two grain trailers. She likes here fuel, but thats what we expect when pulling a super B. If your pulling a lighter load, look for the smaller engines.
    Locking difs are a must for any farming operation. It WILL get you out of a bind someday. A truck pulling an empty trailer, will always get stuck when put into awkward situations off pavement.
    If your looking to pull a trailer, why look into only pulling 25 feet? Get yourself a 50 footer. YOu will use the space. Otherwise if your looking to pull 25 feet, get yourself a tone and a half. Fuel wise way more efficient.
    Sometimes when looking for semis, alot of whats out there has sleepers. They dont add to the value or take from the value of a used semi. We bought a day cab, the other semi we were looking at had a sleeper.

Dont buy a semi truck from the oil fields. Try to get history on the truck before you buy it. Some of those oil truck only have a quarter million on them, but they have been used like they have one and a half million, if you get my drift. I know alot of those transport truck can be really hit and miss, but I warn you, those oil field truck are not a good first buy kind of truck.

Our truck is equipped with a 3 way dif lock,
    we can lock up both tires on the back axel,
    or we can lock up both tires on the frount axel,
    or we can lock up both tires on both axles,
    It is a real nice system to have.
    Ian Steppler >> Canadian Beekeeper's Blog
    www.stepplerfarms.com

Default Thank you!!!

Lots of great ideas, I really appreciate all the comments and help. I think I'm narrowing down my needs. I'm not sure I'm that comfortable stacking double deeps 4 high, especially in my yards - lots of off road, bumpy, some tight locations. I think, for the time being, I'll only go 3 high (216 hives). If I do this I may not need the bigger truck like the FL-112 or the KW T800. What I'm considering is something in the line of the KW T300, International 8600(which is still a good sized truck), or maybe a smaller international. I still want tandem axles for the sake of the truck but maybe only a 300 horsepower engine. I like the cummins and Detroit for gas mileage. The trucks mentioned have sloping hoods for good visibility and I think tight turning radiuses. I'll have to get lockers as I've been stuck too many times to risk that. Well, Thanks again.
    -Rob Bliss

i drive a 18 wheeler for a living if i was you i would get a ch613 mack its a really tuff truck and its easy to fix. macks are made for off road .and i would get a 13 speed tranny with a low reduction switch for soft mud . good luck

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast