Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default buying my first 10-wheeler

I'm to the point where my 450's and 550's just don't cut the mustard anymore and I'm going to buy a bigger truck hopefully by april or may. I know there have been a few threads on trucks but if you could humor me with a few questions.

If you had it to do again what truck would you get and what bells and whistles?

Cummins, Cat, DT, Mercedes, etc.?
    Freightliner, International, Kenworth, Pete., etc.?
    Horsepower?
    Lock-in rear differential?
    How heavy of axles?
    How long of bed? I'm thinking 25 feet. 288 hives.
    sleeper, or is this just a waste of space?
    What other options?

I'm not going to truck all my bees myself to California so I wont add a trailer to this and pull 400+ hives. Only a forklift trailer. I don't want too huge of a cab because some pollination locations are somewhat tight.

Last week While placing my bees in the almonds I rented an international that I could haul 192 hives on. Worked great, sure beat the 80 or 120 I can put on my 550. Anyway, I think a 10 wheeler would be even better. Just not real familiar with the bigger trucks. Not sure what questions to ask or what to look out for. If anyone with experience in these bigger trucks could give some advice on what to avoid and what to look for I would greatly appreciate it.
    -Rob Bliss
    Bliss Honey and bee supplies

Keep an eye out for used oilfield trucks over towards Price and Vernal. The oil patch is slowing down and there might be some equipment showing up this spring/summer. Companies around here are beginning to announce layoffs.

did you want to stretch a tractor ? Its not that expensive to have done.

it would probably give you more options on trucks as well as prices.

"did you want to stretch a tractor ?"

If I can't find the length I want in a cab chassis or flat bed I might do this. It's a good idea.

I'll keep my eyes open Barry at the oil fields. Thanks.
    -Rob Bliss

Default what I want

We don't have trucks that size but if I got one I think I would want the sleeper and 4wd. Dad says they are great for stuff that don't need to get wet like suits, suit cases, and other things that don't fit right behind the seats. We are building honey house and one of the block drivers has a snub nosed truck with a 25 ft bed. I never thought I would like one of them but I got in it and it seemed good. Didn't feel like the view was blocked by the trucks front clip. Clyde say's it's easy to move around in a tight job site too. They have a Princeton piggy back lift on the back of the trucks. It would make a great bee truck as is except the door was fiberglass and my cool magnetic door stickers wouldn't stick when we tried it . We use a ton truck now that has 4 wheel drive and would want that some of the places are pretty rough around here.

Rob, forgot to tell you that all of our trucks were stretched. My old one even had a sleeper we chopped off. That's really the way to go. You get a good used truck with 100,000 miles or so, with the motor you want, (my old Detroit Series 60 sure was great) but I do like my new Mercedes engine. Wish it got a little better mileage.

Rob, how many hives do you move/run.

"Rob, how many hives do you move/run."

1600 in '08 and should get somewhere over 2000 this year. I move them a lot though and half of them are 100 miles from where I live so on these semi-long day trips I want to carry as much as possible wheather I'm moving bees, supering or pulling honey.

Right now I'm leaning towards an international with either a Cummins or Detroit. There's a dealer here close by that will take in trade my two f-450's that I don't need. One's a 2007 with less than 1000 miles if anyone is interested. 4x4 powerstroke.
    -Rob Bliss

Rob,

Try taking a look at a air lift tag axel, 25 foot bed air lift tag axel 45,000 gross.

Default Tag axle?

What's the difference between a tag axle and a regular tandem? unfortunately I'm not as knowledgeable about trucks as I would like / need to be. Like they say "ignorance is bliss." Of course in this case that hits a little too close to home.
    -Rob Bliss

Default F-450's

Are both your trucks Power Stroker's??????

Quote Originally Posted by pahvantpiper View Post
    What's the difference between a tag axle and a regular tandem? unfortunately I'm not as knowledgeable about trucks as I would like / need to be. Like they say "ignorance is bliss." Of course in this case that hits a little too close to home.
    A tag axle is raised or lowered with the trucks air pressure. Pick it up when empty, lower it when loaded. Also the amount of air pressure applied will change the load per axle, help keep you legal weight. Steerable tags are also available, probably not for someone who hasnt drove a big truck much though. Takes getting used to.

Tags can be ok. I think that I would prefer a tandem with locking differentials. I'm no truck expert either, but when you lock the wheels all 8 wheels at the back are turning (hopefully not spinning). So in a sense it's like 4 wheel drive. The likelyhood of getting stuck diminish with rear locking differentials. This is something to consider. I think tag axles are fine if you carry heavy weights only once in a while. You don't get rear locking differentials with these. So the risks of getting stuck increase. So somehow you gotta figure out the pros and cons of each type of truck. Should you get stuck and you've got a stretched cab with a sleeper you'll have a place to rest while the wrecker gets there

Jean-Marc

Tag axle = lift axle? OK, makes sense now.

"Are both your trucks Power Stroker's??????"
    Yes, both are Power Strokes. Buy both and I'll make you a deal.

I saw some cool looking 6X6's in the "Truck Paper" They're jacked up pretty high though. I wonder how these would work?

Does anyone stack double deeps 4 high? That's what I'll have to do to get 288 on a 25' bed. Seems pretty high to me for off road situations. I've done 3 plenty but never 4 high.
    -Rob Bliss

My Dad goes 4 high but its very easy to over load it. His ten wheeler has a lift axle so its actually a 14 wheeler. The next one we build is going to have spead drive axles so the truck can gross at 52,000#s
    Last edited by dbest; 03-07-2009 at 11:30 AM.
    I am holding on to the hope I have inside... Kutless

Quote Originally Posted by jean-marc View Post
    Tags can be ok. I think that I would prefer a tandem with locking differentials. I'm no truck expert either, but when you lock the wheels all 8 wheels at the back are turning (hopefully not spinning). So in a sense it's like 4 wheel drive. The likelyhood of getting stuck diminish with rear locking differentials.
    Jean-Marc

Jean-Marc, locking diffs are normal but a locking power divider is a horse of another color.

Locking diffs means, you have one set of tires on each axel turning, not all eight.

This can be confusing.

Quote Originally Posted by dbest View Post
    That's the one to get around the almond orchard with.

Thats a nice looking truck. Even an auto. Just needs a different bed
    Columbia City, Indiana

Here's another 54,000 gross and no sleeper, quad locks (8) wheel drive!! :

http://www.truckpaper.com/listings/d...2756A71C8185BB

and another:

http://www.truckpaper.com/listings/d...131B71F4CD4E73

P.S. I love trucks!! Its normally my 2nd question for other beekeepers. (the 1st is what kind of forklift)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast