Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Default Re: State Laws Regulating Honey Harvesting/Bottling

Exemption in Illinois since 2010.

http://www.ilsba.com/uploads/1/0/6/4...r_bulletin.pdf

ND
    Revolutionary War Veterans Association - Project Appleseed
    www.rwva.org

Interesting this thread should be resurrected as we have a new bill on the House floor that has already been passed by the Senate allowing OKLA beekeepers producing 500 gal or less to be exempt from both the health dept inspections and the permits to sell food stuff. In other words, we will be able to legally extract and bottle our honey in our kitchen and sell it to the public which is not legal right now.
    Mike Forbes
    Red Dirt Apiaries

Quote Originally Posted by kopeck View Post
    Ok, now you guys have got me curious.

Anyone know what the requirements are for Maine? I've never had enough to do anything more then friend type sales but I might expand a but this year.

K
    Essentialy you need to process in a registered and inspected facility. Items checked include water quality, septic, basic sanitation. Honey is exempt from having to have each sized jar sent out for a lab test. I attended a MOFGA workshop on this a few months back and have my application here on my desk somewhere. I'll be attempting to have my home kitchen approved; when we built the kitchen I made sure to have washable walls and things like that. Floor drains too. Now, about proving my septic system can handle honey production...

[but note, cut comb honey is not considered processed]
    Master Beekeeper (EAS) and Master Gardener (U Maine CE) www.beeberrywoods.com

Quote Originally Posted by NeilV View Post
    Does anybody live in a state that has any type of exemption from regular health dept. regulation for the production of honey? I'm looking for laws that, for example, exempt honey producers from requirements to bottle products in inspected kitchens, particular for hobbiest/sideline beekeepers. It seems like there ought to be exceptions, given that honey itself kills germs.

If I could find an example, I intend to start pestering legislators here in Oklahoma.

Thanks,

Neil
    This is what the Kansas Food Code says about Honey.

Food Processing Plant.
    (1) "Food processing plant" means a commercial operation that processes or stores food for human consumption and provides food for distribution to other business entities at other locations, including other food processing plants and food establishments. ‘‘Food processing plant’’
    (2) "Food processing plant" does not include any operation or individual beekeeper that produces and distributes honey to other business entities if the producer does not process the honey beyond extraction from the comb.

Hope this helps you.

Wayne
    You have to stop and smell the roses......but please watch out for my bees.
    www.johnwaynehoney.com

In Colorado, we have a "Cottage Industry" law that allows uninspected production and direct sale to the consumer but you cannot sell to groceries or restaurants. However, there are labeling requirements for your produce.

Iowa is pretty loose, about all I could find was

Residences which prepare or distribute honey, shell eggs or nonhazardous baked goods are not required to be licensed as home food establishments.
    Home food establishment"
    means a business on the premises of a residence where potentially hazardous bakery goods are prepared for consumption elsewhere.

Iowa Administrative Code/Inspections and Appeals Department [481]/Chapter 30 FOOD AND CONSUMER SAFETY

All in all Iowa is mostly interested in making sure it is labeled correctly as honey, the weight is right and you have some contact info on the jar, and getting their slice of the taxes of course.
    I sell at a few farmers markets and out of the house some, not more than a few hundred pounds a year currently but I don't think the regulations differ due to the scale of the operation

If the food is considered non hazardous you don't need any kind of permit to sell at the markets, fruits, veggies and honey are in that category here. Insurance is up to the market managers - as a producer you don't have to buy insurance but the market may not allow you to sell without it - some do, some don't and homeowners insurance sometimes covers some things. Just really tricky on definitions of alot of stuff.