Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by beemandan View Post
    ...With the economy in its present shape and tax revenues in the tank I'm betting that there's going to be a load of cuts....and I can't imagine them adding this kind of overhead.
    I think you're right. Given the recent peanut butter debacle, they'll probably concentrate on worse threats than honey.

Tennessee Requirements.

Honey House Requirements in Tennessee
    As a resource to beekeepers with questions about state law, link below, for the 2003 "honey house bill." It allows individuals to pack and ship up to 150 gallons of honey per year without being considered a retail food establishment.

http://www.tnbeekeepers.org/honey_house_bill.pdf

Default IL health dept

You have to have a inspected facility to sell to the public. it has to be seperate from the living area. You can use a commercial kitchen from a church, school, restaruant or coop but it does have to be inspected for public sales.

I do think this is a good thing to some extent. There are honey houses I would not go into because fo the mold growing on the walls is a inch thick next to the extractor and I know people who houses are so clean I would eat the honey off the floor.

There are exceptions to everthing.

Virginia does require an annual state inspection (plus $40 fee) of your processing facility. I must provide a copy of this inspection certificate to farmers markets that I sell at. Most festivals send health inspectors around the morning of the event to check each vendor for compliance.

"The inspector reacted like it was nuclear waste."....Steve, Didn't you know---Barney Fife is not dead..He has merely changed his name , and gone undercover as a honeyhouse inspector in Georgia....Doncha' rile him, either. He still has his bullet in his shirt pocket...LOL
    Rick ~ LtlWilli

Ok, now you guys have got me curious.

Anyone know what the requirements are for Maine? I've never had enough to do anything more then friend type sales but I might expand a but this year.

K

Mississippi is trying to pass legislation to the effect that anybody producing 500 gallons of honey or less can get some kind of exemption.
    Fannbee

Quote Originally Posted by okb View Post
    Tennessee Requirements.

Honey House Requirements in Tennessee
    As a resource to beekeepers with questions about state law, link below, for the 2003 "honey house bill." It allows individuals to pack and ship up to 150 gallons of honey per year without being considered a retail food establishment.

http://www.tnbeekeepers.org/honey_house_bill.pdf
    The link didn't work for me? Any way you could provide a different link to the honey house bill?

//www.tnbeekeepers.org/honey_house_bill.pdf

cut and paste it to get it to work

The law's they are still makeing are what is KILLING the USA.

anyone know where I can go hide:}:}

JB:}
    "Life without God is like an unsharpened pencil - it has no point."

Unfortunately several states have made beekeeping legally unaffordable for hobbyist and sideliners. Florida is one of them. There are approximately 1300 registered beekeepers in Florida, but only about 61 of them have a food license, the associated restaurant kitchen equipment, annual inspections, and annual training. The link below addresses Florida's requirements for bottling honey for retail sales and other info of interest.

http://swfbees.com/FinancialBurden.html

http://billstatus.ls.state.ms.us/200.../HB/HB0486.xml

Florida has made some headway for the syrupmakers. In 2005, Florida exempted Florida's syrupmakers from requiring a food license and inspections to cook and bottle cane and sorghum syrup for retail sales.

Hobbyist and sideliners need affordable means of legally using beekeeping to recoup expenses and to afford growth or just to preserve the agricultural heritage of beekeeping. Hopefully, enough interest will encourage the major beekeeping and honey organizations to lobby for action to make beekeeping legally affordable for hobbyist and sideliners in each state.

The future of beekeeping is in our hobbyist and sideliners. Among them are our future researchers, commercial beekeepers, pollinators, and producers and promoters of pure, raw, local honey. They are our future. They are our replacements. They are our small farmers. They farm the most sought out commodity of beekeeping, pure, raw, local honey. Without them, the beekeeping industry would slowly disappear. Where would the replacements come from? Where would you buy real, pure, raw, local honey?

"The following operations are not subject to this section: Establishments engaged solely in the harvesting, storage, or distribution of one or more raw agricultural commodities which are ordinarily cleaned and packed before being market to the consuming public."

"Cleaned" being the operative word there possibly summer. There is no cleaning process with honey.

I think I would be cautious in the interpretation of the statement and make sure that how you interpret it agrees with the people in charge of enforcement.

Not that this is the case rkwool? But often it's large business that lobbies to create such laws to push out their competition.
    "Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts." Winston Churchill

Quote Originally Posted by beemandan View Post
    The inspector checked me out about a month ago and didn't mention anything. I'm going to be pretty surprised if they did. With the economy in its present shape and tax revenues in the tank I'm betting that there's going to be a load of cuts....and I can't imagine them adding this kind of overhead.
    Government just added 66,000 new jobs for you and I to pay for!
    They may step up the permits & fines to help cover things, thats what they're doing here. And the farmer markets are really getting hammered.
    kinda!

Default Interpretation

[QUOTE=Bizzybee;422684I think I would be cautious in the interpretation of the statement and make sure that how you interpret it agrees with the people in charge of enforcement. [/QUOTE]

Interpretation is the key word here. Follow the regulations/laws to the letter. If the bureaucrat/inspector says that your impletation does not jive with their interpretation remind them that elected representatives and taxpayers have not hired them to interpret regulations/laws but enforce them as written. Normally that sort of language backs them down right away. They live in a world where they reference regs/laws all the time. They don't want you exposing their man behind the curtain. That said, be prepared to fight if you need to. Your elected officials have people working in their offices who will fight these causes for you. The bureaucrats really do not like elected officials or their underlings looking into their affairs.

Local officials in my neck of the woods think I'm a real jerk and don't really mess with me anymore. I'm fine with that. I don't like them so it's mutual.

RKWOOL1,

I couldn't get your second link to work? Is there a way I can check on the progress of this bill in Florida?

From what I have heard Florida hasn't been too concerned about cracking down on small producers but I have heard that if you are at a flea market or other type of booth that there is some danger of being fined.
    "Life is like riding a bike. It is impossible to maintain your balance while standing still."...Linda Brakeall

I *interpreted* (the magic word!) "cleaning" -- as it pertains to honey -- to mean "filter out wings and dead bee bodies, etc."

There is a local establishment that really wants to sell my honey. They get requests all the time for local honey, and there isn't any.

But the boss lady already warned me that to have her re-sell, she **must** have a copy of MY health inspection certificate. The inspector that checks out their place is a real picky jerk, and she has already run into other issues with him. (Bags of homemade noodles)

So it goes. I'll start at home with word of mouth, and wing it from there. I might have access to a certfied kitchen, so I'll have to see how it goes.

Summer

Default New Hampshire regs

New Hampshire regulations are here:
    http://www.gencourt.state.nh.us/rsa/...29/429-mrg.htm

DebCP and all:

Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. Not sure why. I may not have copy and paste correctly.

http://billstatus.ls.state.ms.us/200.../HB/HB0486.xml

<--history of
    Mississippi House Bill 486 which is now LAW

Regarding the subject of enforcement I would think the enforcement of Florida Food License hinges on one's method of advertising, visibility of sales, and proximity/disposition of someone else who has a food license.

Beekeeping courses and some guest speakers are quick to point out the existence of the food license requirements. I'm sure the fear of being caught and not being able to handle an additional investment has come into play in contemplating beekeeping or having concerns over being able to expand. I'm sure this license issue and all the required investments associated with it has been one of the major contributors to the declining number of beekeepers.

Default From your neighbors to the north...

Kansas pretty much looks the other way if honey is sold via farmer's markets or out of your home. Once it hits a shelf in any retail outlet setting, a Food Processing License is required. Check Ks Dept of Health & Environment (KDHE) & Dept of Ag websites for details. The Ks. Division of Ag. now inspects honey processing, while KDHE inspects restaurants and other simialr facilities. The requirements referenced are exactly the same for either facility, but different fees are required - requried: employee restroom(s), triple section sink, hand washing sink, hot water supply, etc.

Default Re: State Laws Regulating Honey Harvesting/Bottling

I am prayerful that the below will help in your search.
    <<Prev Rule
    Texas Administrative Code

Next Rule>>
    TITLE 25 HEALTH SERVICES
    PART 1 DEPARTMENT OF STATE HEALTH SERVICES
    CHAPTER 229 FOOD AND DRUG
    SUBCHAPTER N CURRENT GOOD MANUFACTURING PRACTICE AND GOOD WAREHOUSING PRACTICE IN MANUFACTURING, PACKING, OR HOLDING HUMAN FOOD
    RULE 229.214 Exclusions
    The following operations are not subject to this section: Establishments engaged solely in the harvesting, storage, or distribution of one or more raw agricultural commodities which are ordinarily cleaned and packed before being marketed to the consuming public.

Source Note: The provisions of this 229.214 adopted to be effective August 15, 1999, 24 TexReg 6082; amended to be effective August 31, 2006, 31 TexReg 6746

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast