Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

State Laws Regulating Honey Harvesting/Bottling

22K views 45 replies 37 participants last post by  cade10 
#1 ·
Does anybody live in a state that has any type of exemption from regular health dept. regulation for the production of honey? I'm looking for laws that, for example, exempt honey producers from requirements to bottle products in inspected kitchens, particular for hobbiest/sideline beekeepers. It seems like there ought to be exceptions, given that honey itself kills germs.

If I could find an example, I intend to start pestering legislators here in Oklahoma.

Thanks,

Neil

#38 ·
DebCP and all:

Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. Not sure why. I may not have copy and paste correctly.

http://billstatus.ls.state.ms.us/2009/pdf/history/HB/HB0486.xml

<--history of
Mississippi House Bill 486 which is now LAW

Regarding the subject of enforcement – I would think the enforcement of Florida Food License hinges on one's method of advertising, visibility of sales, and proximity/disposition of someone else who has a food license.

Beekeeping courses and some guest speakers are quick to point out the existence of the food license requirements. I'm sure the fear of being caught and not being able to handle an additional investment has come into play in contemplating beekeeping or having concerns over being able to expand. I'm sure this license issue and all the required investments associated with it has been one of the major contributors to the declining number of beekeepers.

#39 ·
From your neighbors to the north...

Kansas pretty much looks the other way if honey is sold via farmer's markets or out of your home. Once it hits a shelf in any retail outlet setting, a Food Processing License is required. Check Ks Dept of Health & Environment (KDHE) & Dept of Ag websites for details. The Ks. Division of Ag. now inspects honey processing, while KDHE inspects restaurants and other simialr facilities. The requirements referenced are exactly the same for either facility, but different fees are required - requried: employee restroom(s), triple section sink, hand washing sink, hot water supply, etc.

#40 ·
I am prayerful that the below will help in your search.
<<Prev Rule
Texas Administrative Code

Next Rule>>
TITLE 25 HEALTH SERVICES
PART 1 DEPARTMENT OF STATE HEALTH SERVICES
CHAPTER 229 FOOD AND DRUG
SUBCHAPTER N CURRENT GOOD MANUFACTURING PRACTICE AND GOOD WAREHOUSING PRACTICE IN MANUFACTURING, PACKING, OR HOLDING HUMAN FOOD
RULE §229.214 Exclusions
The following operations are not subject to this section: Establishments engaged solely in the harvesting, storage, or distribution of one or more raw agricultural commodities which are ordinarily cleaned and packed before being marketed to the consuming public.

Source Note: The provisions of this §229.214 adopted to be effective August 15, 1999, 24 TexReg 6082; amended to be effective August 31, 2006, 31 TexReg 6746

#42 ·
Interesting this thread should be resurrected as we have a new bill on the House floor that has already been passed by the Senate allowing OKLA beekeepers producing 500 gal or less to be exempt from both the health dept inspections and the permits to sell food stuff. In other words, we will be able to legally extract and bottle our honey in our kitchen and sell it to the public which is not legal right now.

#44 ·
This is what the Kansas Food Code says about Honey.

Food Processing Plant.
(1) "Food processing plant" means a commercial operation that processes or stores food for human consumption and provides food for distribution to other business entities at other locations, including other food processing plants and food establishments. ‘‘Food processing plant’’
(2) "Food processing plant" does not include any operation or individual beekeeper that produces and distributes honey to other business entities if the producer does not process the honey beyond extraction from the comb.

Hope this helps you.

Wayne

#46 ·
Iowa is pretty loose, about all I could find was

Residences which prepare or distribute honey, shell eggs or nonhazardous baked goods are not required to be licensed as home food establishments.
Home food establishment"
means a business on the premises of a residence where potentially hazardous bakery goods are prepared for consumption elsewhere.

Iowa Administrative Code/Inspections and Appeals Department [481]/Chapter 30 FOOD AND CONSUMER SAFETY

All in all Iowa is mostly interested in making sure it is labeled correctly as honey, the weight is right and you have some contact info on the jar, and getting their slice of the taxes of course.
I sell at a few farmers markets and out of the house some, not more than a few hundred pounds a year currently but I don't think the regulations differ due to the scale of the operation

If the food is considered non hazardous you don't need any kind of permit to sell at the markets, fruits, veggies and honey are in that category here. Insurance is up to the market managers - as a producer you don't have to buy insurance but the market may not allow you to sell without it - some do, some don't and homeowners insurance sometimes covers some things. Just really tricky on definitions of alot of stuff.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.