Default Honey Bee Bill Passed By House

"$150 million for honey bee insurance (Pg. 102 of Senate Appropriations Committee report: "The Secretary shall use up to $ 50,000,000 per year, and $150,000,000 in the case of 2009, from the Trust Fund to provide emergency relief to eligible producers of livestock, honey bees, and farm-raised fish to aid in the reduction of losses due to disease, adverse weather, or other conditions, such as blizzards and wildfires, as determined by the Secretary")"

Maybe I'm behind a little on my reading, First time I seen this one. Anyone looked the bill up? I added a link to what was sent to me.

www.fas.org/sgp/crs/misc/RL33938.pdf

So where is it?

"I want some TARP!"

Yeah it was kinda funny we were watching the news as they announced each item in the spending bill and everybody booed as they read off each one till they got to honey bees and everyone went "Yay!!!"

I read through it but am not sure I understand it. So lets say ABC bee company has 400 hives destroyed by CCD or whatever. The Goverment pays for the cost of replacing the dead bees or the estimated loss of $$ the beekeeper lost from lack of honey or pollenation sales?

Don't hold your breath waiting. The rich fat cat bankers and the EZ Money Boyz are way ahead of us in line for the handouts.

Old idea. In the '70's and '80's beekeepers used to get reimbursed by the gov't for hives that were killed or considerably affected by insecticide spraying by farmers. Piles of dead bees in front of the hive would determine to a limited degree the amount of damage to the hive. Wasn't enough to replace the colony though. I imagine it will be difficult to determine without testing, the damages due to CCD if that is what the bill covers.

Toothless, but feel good legislation. Honestly I don't want the government (I don't care what party is in office) "helping us" any more than I want them helping any other private businesses. There's no free lunch and the government throwing money at a problem has never solved it. It only makes those who get it more dependent on it. Look at Wellfare, Public Schooling, Social Security, and a host of other New Deal and Great Society programs. No matter how much money they get those who recieve from the programs always want more yet the problem never gets any better.

The closest thing to immortality is a Governmental program. (Ronald Reagan?)
    Ninja, is not in the dictionary. Well played Ninja's, well played...

Quote Originally Posted by D Coates View Post
    Toothless, but feel good legislation. Honestly I don't want the government (I don't care what party is in office) "helping us" any more than I want them helping any other private businesses. There's no free lunch and the government throwing money at a problem has never solved it. It only makes those who get it more dependent on it. Look at Wellfare, Public Schooling, Social Security, and a host of other New Deal and Great Society programs. No matter how much money they get those who recieve from the programs always want more yet the problem never gets any better.

The closest thing to immortality is a Governmental program. (Ronald Reagan?)
    Ain't that the truth. Anyone that is thinking about getting involved in these programs better really look them over and make sure that they are willing to live with the strings that are attached.

Camp
    As wonderful as this life is, there are days I really look forward to the next. :)

You guys aren't really expecting people to be responsible for themselves are you? Come on don't you know the gov't is going to bail you out no matter what trouble you get in!

I wouldn't touch it. It just allows busy body's to tell you you should be ashamed of what your company is purchasing, or giving to its employees,and that it is obscene. Then once they have shamed you they will tell you how to make your product, that will be to expensive, and no one wants.