View Poll Results: Would you buy this observation hive for $500?

Voters
67. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

6 8.96%
  • No

61 91.04%

Default Would You Buy This Observation Hive For $500.

It's looks like a very nice piece of cabinetry from what I can tell. I like that there is a feeder. The turnings on the ends make nice handles for hauling in and out. It looks like it has a swivel, which I love. I don't know what the space is between the glass, but I like 1 3/4" or so. I would have made it all deeps or all mediums, but at least this one is mostly deeps. Although if I had it I'd convert it to all mediums. Since it's hard to limit a queen to one or two combs, it's nice when you need to pull some brood out, to be able to take any frame you like and even nicer if that frame matches the brood nest on your hives.

If I didn't have five perfectly good observation hives, I might consider it. But it is a little pricey. But I've seen some that are more pricey.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

I have seen simpler two frame observation hives sell for around 125$ looks like a lot of work went into the unit, 500 doesn’t seem out of line.
    The Busy Bee teaches two lessons: One is not to be idle and the other is not to get stung.

it looks really nice but i would not buy it.my budget for things i dont need is about 60 dollars for something i really want.my hunting rifle cost about 500.,my work truck was just a little more than that.if i was going to spend that much money on bees i would put it into wooden ware,or maybe diversify my hives(all italians).

Fred Rossman has one like that in his show room. Its very nice.
    I am holding on to the hope I have inside... Kutless

no put I sold one for that once

No, they are very easy to build. And it does not cost much if you have the right tools for the job.
    If it isn't broken, don't try to fix it. If you build it, they will fill it.

Our $500.00 would have to go towards MORE HIVES!!
    We just can't seem to get enough!!!
    Think we've got an addiction?

JordanM, is this an OB that you made and are trying to figure out a pricing structure?
    Home of the ventilated and sting resistant Ultra Breeze bee suits and jackets
    http://www.honeymoonapiaries.com

I voted yes, though that's only if I were in the market for one. Which at this time I am not. Our local Nature Center bought one about 6 years ago and I put bees in it in the spring if the colony doesn't make it for some reason or other. I really like the Lazy Susan aspect of it.
    Mark Berninghausen To combat Ebola, please consider supporting http://www.doctorswithoutborders.org

Quote Originally Posted by magnet-man View Post
    JordanM, is this an OB that you made and are trying to figure out a pricing structure?

That would be my question too Jordan. I voted no, but
    that is based on the question literally. Which may or may
    not be different on a "value" determination.

To determine value some specifications would have to be
    known. Like wood type. Base included?? Feeder? etc

If you built that one............ it sure looks nice!

Wink

It looks similar to some that Draper's sells.

http://draperbee.com/index.htm

I've looked at the ones at Draper's and they are very fine pieces of furniture that they sell around the world. Their prices go up to over a grand for one model.

Would I pay that for one...no. Are they worth that? I'm sure.... Priced fine furniture lately?

So..... What are you getting at? Do you think it's too much or are you trying to sell one?

Just curious.

Quote Originally Posted by Sundance View Post
    That would be my question too Jordan. I voted no, but
    that is based on the question literally. Which may or may
    not be different on a "value" determination.

To determine value some specifications would have to be
    known. Like wood type. Base included?? Feeder? etc

If you built that one............ it sure looks nice!
    No i did not make this one but i am planning on maing one like it and i was going to make some extras to see and i was wondering what would be a good price. I just said $500 because the Drapers go for $575.

http://www.draperbee.com/catalog/pag...VATION%20HIVES

Hi JordanM
    Sorry, I had to vote no.

I would expect to see something other than a pair of stair ballusters for the turned sections, for instance.

I also, don't understand why the builder installed butt hinges in that manner. They are best installed mortised into the edges of the door and frame, IMO.

I would think something like raised panel doors would be a nice touch. I mean, who wants to look at an old bedsheet or whatever all the time that they're not actually observing the bees?

I guess my idea of "fine furniture" is different than some other folks.
    It looks kinda like a 7th or 8th grade shop project too me.

I hope very much that my "constructive" criticism is received in the spirit that I intend.

Happy Building...
    Don't forget to wear your safety's.

Quote Originally Posted by mwjohnson View Post
    I guess my idea of "fine furniture" is different than some other folks. It looks kinda like a 7th or 8th grade shop project too me.
    I agree with MW's comments. It does look like a shop project and Draper's doesn't look much better in my opinion. I think a Chippendale or Edwardian style would be different http://emporiumindonesia.com/Coffee-...fee-Tables.htm An Arts and craft might also be good. I think you need to make something different. A Chippendale / Edwardian would be a high end OB.

Is it safety glass or plexi-glass? That should make a big difference in price. I built one very similar to this one and the glass alone cost me ~$90. Wood and hardware was around $30, not including frames.
    Once you see the bandwagon, it's too late.
    www.goldfinch-acres.com

Bees included might make it an easier sale.
    John B Jacob www.oldsolbees.com

I think temper (safty) glass is overkill. You don't have temper glass in a standard window and that is all over your house.

Wink

If you havent seen Drapers hives in person, I assure you that the pictures on the website do not do the hive justice. They are very finely crafted.

No, i would not spend $500.00 on any obsevation hive. I dont know many beekeepers that would. Packages, foundation frames, yes, but an observation hive. Its just a mater of praticality.
    Last edited by uncletom; 01-30-2009 at 02:54 PM.

I would let the buyer pick safety or plexi glass and the price would be different for each. I also think that i would let the buyer pick how many frames they wanted, feeder or not, doors or slide in glass.
    I think there would be a wide range of prices all depending on what you wanted it to have.