Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

This erks me! Why are neighbors such a pain? I have to go back and read all the posts but I couldn't help but say something. I have a problem neighbor too. I'm getting my first bees in April and in the past my neighbor has told me he (in the past ) has killed bees in his yard because he didn't like see them all over his plants. Dahh: scratch: I told him how good they are for us and did not tell him I am getting bees. I am even going to put color on my boxes so he can't see them well.

You, my friend need first to put a sign in her direction "No Transpassing" (Any Attorney will tell you that) and to have a video watch your boxes. Or if you see her in your yard snap a picture and call the police to have her Arrested. Let them take her downtown and see how she likes it behind bars for awhile. I'll loan you one of my Warlock Doberman to tie by your boxes. See how close she wants to come the boxes then.

Another thing, you don't need a real rooster just make a tape of a rooster crowing. Play it in her direction and let her think you have chickens. Make sure it is out of sight so if she comes outside she can't see it. If the police come simply tell them, "No officer I do not have chickens and never have". You won't be lying. There are many ways to cook her goose. The more she asks for it, I'd let her have it. But if you do have African bees you would be smart to get rid of them. They need to be killed but not good honey bees. Are they African?

This hive showed up about 6 months ago. It was a swarm that moved into a small stack of hive boxed I have. I assume they have HAB genetics because it's safer to assume the worst that assume nothing is wrong. Thats why I only mess with the hive at night. less chance of problems and more time for the bees to calm down if there is a problem.

This hive has shown no signs of being agressive at all. I've done yard work often enough that if it was I would have known it by now. I'm also out side doing stuff enough that I'd see should see if something is wrong. I've had a hot hive that we kept on a farm about 50 miles away. That one you couldn't bump the hive with out them coming out to see whats going on. We'd knock on the hive a few time then hose down the entrance with a sprayer full of soapy water. when they stopped coming out we'd hit it again and sparay them again until we could bang on the hive all we wanted with out getting a reponce. That one wouldn't take a new queen. They'd requeen themself as soon as they could. We tried every trick we could find. we ended up killing just killing them. Still, even with how annoying they were, they still wen't as mean as the ones you hear about on the news. the wost I've ever see the bees was when we worked that hot hive first and then did the other 11. by the time we were done we had 12 hives of farely pissed off bees. After that we worked the hot hive last and had no issues after that. Nothing a little soap and water didn't fix. They wer still more trouble than they were worth. I was going to take this hive out there too until my friend who I've been bee keeping with desided he's had enough and dosn't want to do it anymore. It's too long of a drive each way for little or no return. I think we have 2 hives left out there. The others died.

If this hive showed any signs of being the least bit aggressive I would have killed it by now. I'm more worried about the other people in the neighborhood than I am the Psycho. I should probibly just get rid of the bees and give up the idea all togather. I don't know what this Psycho will do next. I can't have her doing something stupid and pissing off the hive. she won't be the one who gets stung. it would be someone else who has no idea whats going on.

I'd love to get ahold of some of those nice tempered, demestic bees I keep hearing about. You know the ones. The ones you see in all the bee keeping videos where the guy is working the hive in hive in his bare hands and they produce perfictly drawn out frames.

To hear the old timers talk at the local bee keepers meetings, everyone has AHB to some degree or another now days. The Migratory bee keepers have spread them all over the place. They say you can requeen them but I haven't had any luck at it.

On the bright side of things, I dont' need to get an annoying bird. The Mexican family on the other side of the Psycho has a bird that makes noise all day long. It lives just inside their car port, and right accross from the Psychos bedroom window. between that and their two little Yap dogs that bark at everything, I think I've got the annoying pet angle coverd.

I've got the hive moved to the other side of the house. I've got almost all the other stuff moved.

The Psycho hasn't been seen in several days. Last time I saw her she saw me and went straight back into the hosue. She won't doing anything while I'm around to confront her. If she does anything she'll do it when I'm not around.

After reading about the Clover, It still seems like a good idea even if the bees ignore it. It's supposed to keep other weeds from growing and thats really what I'm after. Something I can let grow and not have to worry about as much. I hate cutting the grass. I'd rather borrow a couple lambs from a friend for a few days at a time and let them eat their fill.

I don't understand people. They will plant things in their yard or garden then complain that they don't like the bugs that they attract. If it wasn't for the bugs, most of those plants wouldn't be around in the first place. They both evolved to depend on ach other to live. Bugs pollenate the plants so they can produce fruit and seed to reproduce themselves. Some Good Bugs eat other Bad bugs that would eat the plant and cause it not to grow. Some ugly bugs that no one likes turn into pretty bugs that everyone likes. Look at Butterflies. Lady bugs. what are you going to do? squash all the ugly bugs?

My advice for people like the psycho that moved in next to me is this, if you don't like flies, don't crap in your yard. But if you build your home next to a dairy, don't complain about the flys. She knew I had bees before she even bought the house.

Bryon:

Like you asked - "what are you going to do? squash all the ugly bugs?"

You live in a neighborhood of the city which it appears is changing demographics to the types of people who you can't tolerate. My advice: Move! (or invite them all over for a BBQ, and get to know them better!)

My place in the country is pure heaven , I tell 'ya...

MM

If you have the can of bug spray if she used it in a manner inconsistant with its labeling you could probably have her fined for that as well when you take her to court

Quote Originally Posted by Bryon View Post
    She knew I had bees before she even bought the house.
    Don't know if you answered this yet or not, does the city know you have bees and are you legally allowed to keep them there?
    Regards, Barry

To hear the old timers talk at the local bee keepers meetings, everyone has AHB to some degree or another now days. The Migratory bee keepers have spread them all over the place. They say you can requeen them but I haven't had any luck at it.
    I actually used to believe the same thing. But the USDA bee lab has a publication out that says they have not found any AHB genetics anywhere east of Texas or north of Sountern California/Nevada. The AHB in souther florida is the only population moved by migrators and they are landlocked by the climate north of thier range

They have also published that their research is showing that AHB cannot survive anywhere that recieves more than 50 inches of rain spread out over a year. They don't know why yet. Apparently they can handle a rainy season in a tropical climate, but not rainfall all year long over 50 inches.

http://www.ars.usda.gov/research/pub..._no_115=133427
    Last edited by bluegrass; 02-03-2009 at 08:17 AM. Reason: added link
    Always question Conventional Wisdom.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    Don't know if you answered this yet or not, does the city know you have bees and are you legally allowed to keep them there?

Yeah. But thats kind of a gray area. I have the required amount of land the city requires. But the City pretty much covers their butt in the code by saying in the very fist paragraph that you can pretty much do what ever you want if we haven't alreayd told you you can't, up until such time as it becomes a problem and then we find out about it and have to do something about it.

The old guy that used to live next door would always call the city on me for what ever reason he could. He called the city on me when I first got bees about about 5 years ago. then again every spring when the Citris was in bloom (Long after I moved all my bees out to buckeye.) So the inspecter would come out, give me the normal crap about playing nice with the neighbors and cit me for weeds or junk or something unrelated to bees. one year a I had to go to court 3 times becuase the new inspector was too Gung Ho when he started and didn't know when to pick his fights. By the time of my last trial date, he had created so much extra work for himself he was spending all his time in court and had no time to follow up on anything. We had a nice chat about that and he understood that you don't need to go by the book and couse problems for people. Now we have a pretty good working relationship. Not haveing bees didn't keep the old guy from complainig every time he saw bees in his yard. He'd knew I had them somewhere. Thats why I piled all tehat hive stuff right next to that wall. He couldn't see it if he just looked over into my yard. He'd have to came over and stuck his head over the wall to look. The less he saw the less he complained. I just never gave him much attention unless he wasin my face about something and that normally ended with me offering to put my foot up his butt if he didn't get off my property and mind his own buisness, Normally he'd have his rant and then run in side. Sometimes I'd get a visit from the city in a few days after that.

I thought it was a sign or something that these bees would show up a few days after he passed away. It was a sign all right. The sign said, "Beware of stupid people."

Quote Originally Posted by bluegrass View Post
    I actually used to believe the same thing. But the USDA bee lab has a publication out that says they have not found any AHB genetics anywhere east of Texas or north of Sountern California/Nevada. The AHB in souther florida is the only population moved by migrators and they are landlocked by the climate north of thier range

They have also published that their research is showing that AHB cannot survive anywhere that recieves more than 50 inches of rain spread out over a year. They don't know why yet. Apparently they can handle a rainy season in a tropical climate, but not rainfall all year long over 50 inches.

http://www.ars.usda.gov/research/pub..._no_115=133427

I've wondered about that. From what I remeber, AHB are everywhere south of the us border. many areas down there get way more rain than 50 inches a year.

whats the deal with the 50 inches of rain? Could it be that the only places in the US that get 50+ inches of rain a year also get cold too? Maybe the AHB can handle wet but not cold and wet.

I don't know. All I do know is that where I am, it's warmer and dryer than that most of the time. AHB seem to be everywhere around here.
    Last edited by Bryon; 02-03-2009 at 03:39 PM.

I had a great great uncle who had problems like you are having you may have hear of him, his name was Randall McCoy. This Hatfield fellow and him did not see I eye to eye. Hope if works out for you. Fueding is in my blood I would have a good time driving her even more nuts!

I've wondered about that. From what I remeber, AHB are everywhere south of the us border. many areas down there get way more rain than 50 inches a year.
    I think the theory is that they are only in places in South America that has a rainy season and a dry season. I always thought there was a bunch of rain forest down there
    Always question Conventional Wisdom.

Seriously, you have to try hard to be a good neighbor so others don't have reason to attack you. If you tuck your bees in somewhere they aren't as noticeable yet not near the boundry line, keep your yard neat, no junk all around, cut the clover and all your grass so they can't complain. No swearing at or vulgarness to them. When/if the police come be calm, let them see you are not the problem. This lady has crossed the line and needs to pay for her actions. She had NO right to harm your property and press that while improving on yourself. Wish you the best !

Default Re: Let Her Face the Consequences of Her Actions

sorry for replying so late in this thread but your story is quite funny and amazing, maybe you should post it here http://www.rightmove.co.uk/news/arti...operty-stories who knows maybe you can win that voucher.

Default Re: Let Her Face the Consequences of Her Actions

Every village seems to have an idiot! God bless you for not punching her in the throat i don't think i could have been that patient,i too have a lunatic neighbor,but im blessed as she is lazy as can be and sleeps most all day, (on our dime the taxpayer) but i don't trust her as far as i can throw her and the wife's little yippy dog will let me know if someones is close to the fence,then i let my German Shepard out and that seems to solve problems with nosey nelly. If you can id move the apiary,buy a video camera and a chihuahua,good luck.