I had this problem once
    if it's legal in your area, get chickens
    get old english game bantams
    get more roosters than hens
    they'll crow like crazy at 4:00 AM and the neighbor will move away
    then you can have chicken stew and get some sleep
    mmmmmmmm

Dave

Bryon.............. Nothing I can say hasn't been said.
    But I gotta toss in my 2 cents.

Stay away from courts. You may very well get a
    judgment for a couple hundred bucks in a small
    claims court.

Then you'll have to collect, and that is time consuming
    and more often then not, fruitless.

What's your time worth?????? Plan on devoting 30 to 40
    hours if you follow the "revenge" plan. Plus the expense
    of cameras, etc.

This crazy isn't going to change. You never, ever,
    get even with crazy people. And end up pretty
    crazy yourself.

Move the hives to the farthest spot or better yet,
    move them to another location.

Good luck and so sorry for your misfortune.

Default Crazy Neighbor

Quote Originally Posted by Sundance View Post
    Bryon.............. Nothing I can say hasn't been said.
    But I gotta toss in my 2 cents.

Stay away from courts. You may very well get a
    judgment for a couple hundred bucks in a small
    claims court.

Then you'll have to collect, and that is time consuming
    and more often then not, fruitless.

What's your time worth?????? Plan on devoting 30 to 40
    hours if you follow the "revenge" plan. Plus the expense
    of cameras, etc.

This crazy isn't going to change. You never, ever,
    get even with crazy people. And end up pretty
    crazy yourself.

Move the hives to the farthest spot or better yet,
    move them to another location.

Good luck and so sorry for your misfortune.

Yeah. there is that old saying about never fighting with stupid people. They will only drag you down to their level and beat you with experiance.

I Went o the store the other night and there were a couple cops parked out front so I thought i'd ask them a few questions about where to go to get a copy of the report and how to file charges if I need to. The cop told me that since the call was a minor demestic despute that there wouldnt' be any report taken. It's not really worth their time he said.

I was working out in the back yard a couple nights ago and they were out in their back yard. They were removing a Bait trap they had made out of a plastic bottle. I guess she figures she can kill the bees that way. Later it looked like they were installing a security cam in the shed. it sounded like they were playing with a signal meter for a wireless camera. This whole deal must be driving her nuts. Tonight I found that bait trap on top of the wall.

I know that her credit has been bad since her devorce about 15 years ago or more. I remembor she got stuck with over 40 grand in Creadit card debt at the time. I also know she's never had more than a dead end job in her life and those dosnt' last more than a few years.

I Did go to Home depot tonight and got a few rolls of that Bamboo privacy screeing that you see in gardens. it's 6 feet tall and I got enough to go around my yard. That would force any bees flying into her yard to fly over it and over her head where she probibly wont' notice them as much.

My next plan in to plant White Dutch clover in the front side yards and the back.

the back yard can wait. I have a project that I've been wanting to do that requires a jack hammer to bust up the old concrete sidewalk that hte bee hives are on now and replace it with pavors. She works nights and sleeps days. I hope she gets her bueaty sleep now because she's going to need it later. I wonder what she's going to be like when the citris trees in her yard are in full bloom.

I thought about chickens. I dont' think it's legal to have chickens where I am but you wouldnt' knwo that from looking around. there are alot of mexicans in my area and alot of them have chickens. I hear the roosters all the time day or night. there was even a rooster in my front yard a few weeks ago making a hell of a lot of noise. I guess it was lost and was looking for the hens. that is something I have thought about thought. I don't know anything about chickens. I'll look into that. I wonder if the neighborhood cats would be a problem. with my luck, she'd find a way to poison the chickens too.

I'll have to check into that when I go to the feed store to look for clover seed. I know they sell chickens, ducks, rabbits and all sorts of other stuff there.

as far as actually going after her, Because I'm so close friends with the rest of her family and still on good turms with them. I think I'm going to have to let the Carma Fairy take care of this one. Maybe I can arrange for some bad Carma to come her way. I got friends who got friends who know that that guy that does that thing with the thing. That shouldn't be a problem. The rest of the time I think I can screw with her head much more affectively than If I actually tried to screw with her openly. It's really easy to play on someones fears once you know what puttons to push. And all you have to do is plant a simple suggustion and let it have time to fester and then next thing ya know they are going nuts being parinoid. She can hate me all she wants. I won't lose any sleep over it.

I will have to clean up the place a little just in case the she calls the city on me. what I need are a couple of lambs to keep the weeds down. maybe I shoud add one of those to the list.

Two lambs, two roosters, 2 hens, 2 hives, one ark. 12 hour CD of Bag pipe music.

Quote Originally Posted by Bryon View Post
    Maybe I can arrange for some bad Carma to come her way. I got friends who got friends who know that that guy that does that thing with the thing.
    Careful...your karma might just run over your dogma.

Quote Originally Posted by taipantoo View Post
    If you are going to keep a book, then it needs to have a sewn binding like a composition notebook.
    Do not tare out any pages.
    Only write on one side of a page.
    Date every entry.
    If you write something that you do not like, cross it out with a single line.
    DO NOT ERASE ANYTHING!

This will allow your book to become a legal document.
    How legit is this statement? Does this mean the spiral bound notebook, written (in ink) on two sides, that I have been keeping, is useless? The cops never told me anything like that.

As for the citrus trees, you need to read up on "attractive nuisance." Essentially she is attracting the bees into her yard with those trees, and can't blame and results on the bees or the beekeeper. (This is actually the only incident that I can think of where I might agree with "attractive nuisance," because it also does things like prohibit me from prosecuting trespassers if my property is an irresistably wonderful snowmobile path.)
    “The keeping of bees is like the direction of sunbeams.” -Henry David Thoreau

Default artificial karma

Let your hives swarm...sounds like she would freak if a swarm landed in one of her trees....maybe they would even find a nice home in the wall of her house.

Buy a bag of black thistle bird seed and sow it over the wall. Grows good and is nearly impossible to destroy even with constant mowing.

Go to your local garden center and buy a couple of the motion sensing water sprinklers. Set them in the yard so that when she walks near the wall she gets wet.

Get a trail cam and set it up so that if she bothers the hive again you have pictures of it happening for evidence.
    Always question Conventional Wisdom.

I Did go to Home depot tonight and got a few rolls of that Bamboo privacy screeing that you see in gardens. it's 6 feet tall and I got enough to go around my yard. That would force any bees flying into her yard to fly over it and over her head where she probibly wont' notice them as much.
    Backyard beekeepers, this should have been done before you even put bees in your hive. There are many posts in here about keeping bees in a residential area and making sure we are being responsible. The way to deal with this on a smaller scale is simply to put privacy fencing around the hive(s).

My next plan in to plant White Dutch clover in the front side yards and the back.
    It will look nice, but don't be disappointed when you don't see many bees working it. They will have bigger sources at their disposal.
    Regards, Barry

Not defending this lady at all. But non-beekeepers
    in general have a pretty healthy fear of bees. It
    may be irrational, but it's real.

Imagine a constant sortie of bees streaming over your
    back yard during a flow............ Bees all over water
    sources like pet dishes. Spilled pop........ beer.... etc.
    It would have to be unnerving to say the least.

Anything you can do to direct the path away from her
    yard is a bonus.

From your description she sounds like her brain is not wired correctly. You have my sympathy. I had one of these two houses away and life was hell. She would put notes on neighbors doors saying that my wife, infant son and I entered her house and rearranged the curtains, etc. The cops would have to show up if she called and said there was nothing they could do. Even the district attorney couldn't do anything because there was a clause in the law that prevented him from taking action if the person calling in a false police report was mentally ill. I got some relief when I threaten her brothers who also owned the house she lived in with a law suit.

If she rents call the land lord and threaten to possible legal action if he renews her lease. If she owns, threaten to move and convert your property to section 8 rental. Tell her you are going to find the scariest section 8 tenants you can find. Then put a big sign in your yard for house for rent "Section 8 OK". Put an add in the paper to so some section 8 people will show up to see the house. Make sure she sees her future potential neighbors. Really if she owns, you might as well move. Life is too short to live next to a nut job.
    Home of the ventilated and sting resistant Ultra Breeze bee suits and jackets
    http://www.honeymoonapiaries.com

I have ....severl stacks of unused Hive boxs and stuff stacked there too. (A swarm moved into one of those stacks last summer.)
    The AHB is about all we have here in Phoenix. that is why I have been very careful not to mess with the hive until late at night when the bees can't fly around very far.
    I am NOT siding with the nut case, and I won't repeat the good advice on how to deal with her, BUT.......
    it sounds to me like you are knowingly keeping AHB in your back yard and that seems to me to be asking for problems. I would not be trying to figure out whether or not to sue the neighbor, I would be worried about someone suing me. AHB are not just a danger to those allergic, but small children and pets in the neighborhood as well.
    Sheri

I'd ignore any advice about getting chickens, especially roosters to annoy her. Get chickens if and when you want chickens for their own value. Get a rooster if and when you want to wake up at 5 am or earlier every morning.

Kind of like telling a chicken owner with a nut-case neighbor to simply get honey bees to annoy her. Any animal requires its own degree of care and an investment in time, money and learning. There is a very small return on investment when revenge is the ultimate goal.

Wayne

Do everything listed above to protect your bees, move them, build a fence, keep accurate records of the events...
    Then requeen with really gentle stock like cordovans, wait a few brood cycles, walk over to her house with honey and a veil in hand and offer to show her what happens inside that box in your yard. You will most likely be turned down but my hunch is that things will get alot freindlier. You can cuss her all the way back to your house if it makes it easier to swallow.
    Take the high road and keep good records.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnK and Sheri View Post
    I am NOT siding with the nut case, and I won't repeat the good advice on how to deal with her, BUT.......
    it sounds to me like you are knowingly keeping AHB in your back yard and that seems to me to be asking for problems. I would not be trying to figure out whether or not to sue the neighbor, I would be worried about someone suing me. AHB are not just a danger to those allergic, but small children and pets in the neighborhood as well.
    Sheri
    what makes you assume that?

Sheri had a great point, and I overlooked it.

Bryons own description:

"The AHB is about all we have here in Phoenix. that is why I have been very careful not to mess with the hive until late at night when the bees can't fly around very far."

If these are AHB then it is your responsibility to get
    rid of them ASAP. Nuts as she may be if I lived in
    town and the guy over my fence had AHB I'd be
    tempted to pick up a bug bomb..........

Bryon......... Are they, or are they not AHB?????
    Are they super aggressive??

When I read his discription I did not interpret that he was keeping AHBs. I think what he is saying is that because their is a lot of AHB in the area, people are afraid. So in order to maintain a low profile he works his hive at night when the bees are less active and neighbors will not see a bunch of bees in the air when he opens the hive.

To think that a backyard beek could keep a hive of AHB in a hive in a neighborhood is ludacris. He would not have been able to install the bees himself without killing a dozen neighbors.

She would not been able to pop the top on the bug spray can, much less walk up to the wall. We have all seen footage of AHB research labs.....you can't get within 25 yards of those hives without setting them off.

Byron: for your own protection send a sample into the lab for genetic testing and keep the results filed away somewhere. I don't for a minute believe you have AHBs in your hive, but if you did you need to know for sure because keeping them would be a crime and if they hurt anybody it would be a felony.
    Last edited by bluegrass; 02-01-2009 at 06:09 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by bluegrass View Post
    When I read his discription I did not interpret that he was keeping AHBs......... He would not have been able to install the bees himself without killing a dozen neighbors.
    He says he DID NOT install these, they were a swarm.
    Swarms of AHB can be very workable, like any swarm. It is when they get larger they can be a problem.
    I am not saying they are AHB, it just seems the OP is suggesting they might be. Perhaps I misconstrued his post, but if in the OP's own words "AHB is about all we have in Phoenix", well, who am I to argue with him? I am just counseling caution, the best route if there is a chance they might be AHB.
    Sheri
    Last edited by JohnK and Sheri; 02-01-2009 at 10:35 AM.

[QUOTE=Bryon;388339]

I would hook up an elect. fence making the part that they could spray insectiside on real close loops:}:} hook it up to your house current:}:}

That will stop whom ever is doin it I bet:}:}

JB:}
    "Life without God is like an unsharpened pencil - it has no point."

Quote Originally Posted by MapMan View Post
    I This could easily escalate into an all-out war with her and her son, and you don't want enemies for neighbors. We had one of those psychos growing up, who'd throw bricks over the fence at us kids (we were 4-6 years old at the time).

MM

My next door nabior told me that he would kick my butt if I was old enough:}:}

so when I got out of the service I ran into him at a bar,,, He paid for all the drinks that night hehehehehhe

never did try to kick my butt but I sure tryed to get him into tryin.

"Life without God is like an unsharpened pencil - it has no point."

Quote Originally Posted by J-Bees View Post

I would hook up an elect. fence making the part that they could spray insectiside on real close loops:}:} hook it up to your house current:}:}

That will stop whom ever is doin it I bet:}:}

Avoid advice that could potentially murder your neighbors and subject you to charges of criminal negligence or homicide. A six year old girl in TX was killed by an electric fence that a neighbor put up in their residential neighborhood. He wired it as JB suggests and it killed the girl instantly.

Advice like this needs to come with a warning. There are obviously people that will follow it with tragic consesquences.

Wayne

Quote Originally Posted by JohnK and Sheri View Post
    He says he DID NOT install these, they were a swarm.
    Swarms of AHB can be very workable, like any swarm. It is when they get larger they can be a problem.
    I am not saying they are AHB, it just seems the OP is suggesting they might be. Perhaps I misconstrued his post, but if in the OP's own words "AHB is about all we have in Phoenix", well, who am I to argue with him? I am just counseling caution, the best route if there is a chance they might be AHB.
    Sheri
    Actually he said he has a hive and a stack of equipment that a swarm moved into....he goes on to say she is spraying the hive... He did not say that the hive is from a swarm.

I will put this out there until we get clarification from byron on all this: If the said hive is AHB their agressive traits may be bred down from cross breeding, however; that is a temporary state and hybrid AHB quickly regress back to full African temperment. If these bees are AHB (proven by genetic testing) they need to be destroyed... if they are a little hot now, they will be a lot hot within a year or so and could really hurt somebody.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast