Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

Bad Neighbor problems

28K views 73 replies 42 participants last post by  tonysea 
#1 ·
I know ou guys hate this kinda drama but I need some advice.

I have a single bee hive in my back yard along one wall and severl stacks of unused Hive boxs and stuff stacked there too. (A swarm moved into one of those stacks last summer.) I've enjoyed watching them come and go and do their thing. Recently I've noticed that there was a large number of dead bees around the hive. I thought it was because of the cold spells we have been having off and on here in Phoenix and maybe the lack of food. Then a couple days ago I noticed something on the wall. It was a can of bug spray. The naghbor lady and her son have been straying poison on my bee hive and stored Hive equipment. When I confronted her about it yesterday to get her to stop, all she wanted to do was argue and twist my words around. She believes she has a right to do what ever she wants. She wouldn't agree to stop spraying poison on my stuff or listen to me telling her why she shouldn't do that or that she had no right to do so. She ended up calling the cops thinking that they would do something for her.

The cop showed up. got her side of the story. Got my side of the story. I was told that technicly I had the right to sue her for any damage she may have caused and that he would tell her to stop spraying my property. he took a report and left. I know this isn't going to stop her. The cop told her che could spray all she wanted on her property. I dont' think she'd care if she got over spray on my side of the wall.

She's nuts. No, really. She's been fighting with the people on the other side of her since she moved in. She called the cops on them sunday afternoon becaus they were making too much noice and she couldnt' sleep. All they were doing was sitting in their driveway, talking with friends and family and watching their kids play in the front yard. She went out and turned the hose on them. then called the cops to make them be more quiet.

If she is unhappy, she trys to make the people around her unhappy. I've known her my who life just about. She's my best friends Sister who just bought the house next to me a few months ago. I could write a book about all the drama she as caused with the family over the years.

Any advice on how to deal with this would be a help. What options I might explore if legal action is required. Yeah. I know. get a layer. Going in with a plan would be a big help too.

The only proof I have that they poisoned the hive is the can of spray I found and their word that they did it. she admitted it to me when I asked her about it and then again to the cop when he asked her what was going on.

the hive is still alive but I don't know for how long. from what I've seen and from what she said, they have been spraying out there since at least late October. First I noticed anything was late November.

If worst comes to worst and I have to sue her, how do you figure the valoue of bees or the extent of the damage. I don't know exactly what got poisoned and how much. Most of the stuff is old med boxs with empty frames. All the frames were in reusable shape when I stacked everything. I threw away all the bad stuff. There was also a stacm of new Large boxes with drawn out frames I got from a friend who had a hive die on him.

I plan to move the stuff to another part of the yard where it would be harder for her to get to but still, some of those wasp strays shoot 20 feet from the can so it is impossable for me to keep things compleatly out of her reach.

Seems like I have no choice but to assume everything has been poisoned and not reusable. I dont' think a good scrubbing and a fresh coat of paint would remove the poison.

See less See more
#2 ·
I"m going to answer here and hope I'm not misleading you. If I am someone will come along here and correct my assumption shortly.

For the most part the spray probally will be contained to the bottom box. I doubt she's brave enough to lift all the lids and spray entirely.

The half-life on most sprays are relatively short.

I would definately soap and water scrub the boxes that are empty. I would toss the frames.

I would try as hard as possible to save the remaining bees.

And I most definately would look into small claims court. With the police statement that she had sprayed your equiptment, you should be able to get a judgement in your favor for replacement price of bees and equiptment.

Dollar value unless it was 10 or more hives is not worth a lawyer.

I would take her to court for no other reason than she thinks she can destroy your property. We aren't talking bees in a tree. We're talking established hive and it would take an idiot to not realize that you are keeping them purposefully.

this is why I live in the middle of nowhere with no neighbors. wow.. people.

#3 ·
Inventory all of your equipment, price it a 50% of new and take her to small claims court. Get the police report and use the cops as your evidence that she trespassed and admitted destroyed your property.

Money talks with people like that. Put the screws to her and give her something to be bitter about..................money.

#8 ·
Inventory all of your equipment, price it a 50% of new and take her to small claims court.
Why would you need to price the equipment at 50%? Someone whould have to replace the equipment and it should not be the problem of the owner if it was destroyed by a neighbor. I would expect all to be replaced, loss of honey crop, and compensation for time and aggravation. Then I would let the judge go from there. Money is the only way to get through a twisted mind. :lookout:

#5 ·
This is what I would do.

You might also want to put up a no trespassing sign just for good measure.

I'm not sure I would take her to court right off, seems like it might be a loosing proposition money wise. The other factor is these type of folks are usually not wired right, that is you take her to court then in her mind she going to have to get back at you. They never see what they do as wrong, it's always someone else s fault.

K

#7 ·
If she admitted trespassing and vandalizing your property, why didn't you have her arrested? Then again, you're going to have to live with her as a neighbor, until who knows when. And, she's your best-friend's sister? Can't he/she talk some sense into the lady?

If it was me, based on the circumstances, even though she wins this round - I'd find somewhere else to put the bees - out of town. This could easily escalate into an all-out war with her and her son, and you don't want enemies for neighbors. We had one of those psychos growing up, who'd throw bricks over the fence at us kids (we were 4-6 years old at the time).

I'm glad I don't have neighbors who aren't 1/2 mile down the road. Nuts.

MM

#58 ·
I This could easily escalate into an all-out war with her and her son, and you don't want enemies for neighbors. We had one of those psychos growing up, who'd throw bricks over the fence at us kids (we were 4-6 years old at the time).

MM

My next door nabior told me that he would kick my butt if I was old enough:}:}

so when I got out of the service I ran into him at a bar,,, He paid for all the drinks that night hehehehehhe

never did try to kick my butt but I sure tryed to get him into tryin.

JB:}

#10 ·
The only bad thing about staying out of court is there would be no paper trail for future events... In legal situations there must be a paper trail or it did not happen. I agree it is best to not get into court battles with neighbors, but when you have someone doing harm to your property and they think they are in the right... they have a problem to begin with and chances are you would have more trouble from these types of people. We had a neighbor that would shoot at us (or in the air) when I was younger. Last year he pulled a gun and held my uncle and I at gun point. When we went to court.. The DA said since there was no documentation on the other events, it was as if they did not happen. Which my word did hold some weight with the judge. Now I'm not saying someone killing bees is the same as holding someone at gun point, but the legal actions are the same. BTW I have had no more trouble with my neighbors since.

#11 ·
The only bad thing about staying out of court is there would be no paper trail for future events...
There is a paper trail - his neighbor called the cops (the gall - she was in the wrong, and she called the cops?). Anyway, there's a police report.

Avoid any confrontation with this woman. Sounds like she is not the sharpest blade in the drawer, one brick short of a load, not the brightest bulb in the pack... :lookout:

MM

#12 ·
that is true, there is a report. and that will help you when you have trouble.. I guess I was more refering to other people who have trouble with this person. polioce reports don't follow people's record, they just stay at the station unless someone has the report number to recall it. You are right to avoid this person since you have a report. I just have a peeve with people destroying property and getting away with it... :) have probs being forced to do something I don't want to do because of stupidity :)

#13 ·
It's a tough call. Obviously, there's no reasoning with this person, but I don't think I'd just do nothing. Why would you have to sue? Wouldn't what she did be considered a criminal act? trespassing, destruction of property? As far as the values of equipment, I would consider it worth more than the cost of new equipment. You have bees and brood, possibly stored honey, and drawn out frames. How much is an established hive worth? Loss of income if you sell honey? I'd at least get a copy of the police report, maybe move your hives to the far side like Mike suggested, although some ordinances limit how close you can be to other properties. This person is a psycho who hopefully doesn't own any guns.

#14 ·
First, I would not ask someone who has nothing to lose for advice. Most likely you will get advice that is going to cost you in some way. The way I would handle a situation like this is to avoid the problem source and then be creative and put the bees in or around something so the neighbor doesn't know they are there. Final satisfaction will be yours with minimum of grief. Neighbor cant argue alone.

#15 ·
Nut Case!

Had about the same deal happen to us a few years back.
Had a yard next to the edge of town for years & this " Nut Case " tried to hire another beek friend to poision the entire yard.
For an whopping $50 bucks no less.
At the time I believe ther were a dozen hives or so in the yard 200 yards from her house.
She was upset that the bees woud use her bird bath to drink & scare the birds away & then they cound not watch them drink.
The following day I went to the city attorney & the county sheriff to explain the story.
They called the person who was contacted to posion the bees to confirm the story.
Told the sheriff to sit back a couple of blocks & watch me as I went to her place to confront her.
Yes she was a nut case.
I walked back to the bird bath ( that had birds drinking from it ) & allowed a couple of bees to climb on to my slightly sweetened hand & then walked to the house to show her how tame the bees were.
She freeked just as the sheriff drove into the drive way to see as to what was going on.
Her husband was at the local coffee shop and had made the mistake of gloating as to what he & his wife had done.
Long story short this retired couple did not last to much longer in town after I went to all the city fathers to tell the story.
My advice is toget the city attorney involved.
Go over the police report with him or her & contact your nut case as to what type of
monetary damages you are looking at.
Yes it a scare tatic but the bottom line is unless this person moves out & away from you as my nut case did your going to have to live with her as a neighbor.
And unless the scare works & she does a 180, well good luck.

#16 ·
Assuming nut-jobs like this are not easily deterred by lawsuits - how about these options.

I understand that with a range of 20 feet you'll have a hard time getting your hives far enough away. Any chance you could build a small barrier, say 10 feet in front of your hives so that she'd be forced to spray at such an angle that she will not be able to reach your hives? A fence, a hedge, or perhaps a mirror so she can see her own hateful face?

Also, be sure to face the hive entrance AWAY from where she can spray. While spraying the back of the woodenware is not good, it won't be nearly as deadly as spraying the entrance.

What about motion detector lights that will trigger if she approaches the fence at night. I think that's a good idea - bees or not! You can also get a motion detector sprinkler - not sure, perhaps in a pet catalogue. Designed to keep animals out of certain areas. You can't set it to spray her on her property - legally, but I'd set one up to go off if she trespassed onto your property, which she seems to have already done.

Do you have a flat roof on your house that she cannot reach or perhaps cannot see? Could you put your hive there? I know it would be a pain to go up and down a ladder, but you could tie honey supers to a rope and lower them down. Make sure the roof will bear the weight of the hives and yourself too.

Ever think of giving her honey from the bug spray hive?! :D Just kidding.

#17 ·
12 + Bird shot...... j/k, you ever thought about some AHB'S? Sorry had to add that too. I would send her certified letter requesting Money for damage. Then if all all else fails go to Magistrate court. Would probely be enough to scare her. Make sure you can legally keep bees in your area. Also you might want to get the other neighbors involved and on your side.............. Oh, and you can fine some fine PitBulls at the pound........

#34 ·
Crazy Neighbor

WoW This must have really hit a nerve. So many replys so fast.

Here is what I planned to do as Soon as I can do it. Move hive to the other side of my house where she cant' see it from her side unless she goes out into the ally and looks for it.

I'm going to do an inventory as I move the other hive stuff to another location in the yard.
that way I will know know just how much of what I need to get replacement prices cost for if or when it comes to that.

I also pan on leaving a hive set up in he old location or somewhere where she can see it. This will be made up of some of my oldest crap hives so it won't matter. I'll put a feeder on it so she'll see activity. Can you say Bait? The Security camera is something I am looking into. I want as much proof as I can get if them spraying poison on my property as I can get before I have to go to court. I already have her statment to the cop. I can go out and fill a mayson jar with dead bees.

The way I figure it, the cost of replacement hive boxs, frames and Labor to paint and asmeble sould be considered.
Empty fully drawn out comb should have a valoue no less than the price of the frame and the weight of wax + ?
Any frames with honey should be frame + weight valoue of wax + total weight of honey X market price for Unprocessed honey. That can be a little expencive at the home brew stores or farmers markets. I know it cost more than the bulk filtered stuff you get at the store.
Cost of top and bottom boreds + paint and labor

She's going to to nuts in a few weeks when the 3 citris trees in her yard are in full bloom.
I'm sure I'm goping to be blamed for all the bees flying around her trees.

I do plan on building the wall higher. I also plan to plant some Clover in the back and front side yard. It's something I've been planning on doing anyway for a while so wny not now?

Heres a little background on my Neighbor.

She says she is Allergic go bees. Normally I'd take a persons word for it. Not her. THe math dosn't add up. I know for a fact that she can tell all kinds of lies and believe every word of it. she can convincer herself of anything to be true if she wants to. I believe she has some kind of fear of Bees and bugs in general. Three examples of this. When her oldest child, her doughter was younger, she was very afraid of bugs. Yeah. I know it's a girl thing. But this was a little more than that. She'd get hestarical if she saw a cricket of if one got on her. She was like this up until about 12 of 13. This kind of extream reaction in a kid that young is not normal. It is learned. She probibly got it fgrom her mom and maybe renforced by other members if the family that gave her attention when she was action up like this. A conditioned responce. Now she's in her early 20's and dosn't have that problem. I guess she grew out of it.
When they were first moving in, the ladys sone moved in a few weeks before his mom. One night I was over there talking to him and he was laughing about how he was in the process of bub bombing the storage shed out back. I asked him why he'd bother since the only thing that lives out there is the lawn mower and some tools. He said because there were bugs in there. One of the first things I noticed when they moved in was a new bug zapper that they hung on the patio. Ok. so they don't like mesquito's I thought. a few days later I'm talking to the kid again and again, he said he was bug bombing the shed because he saw a sewer roach in there. I asked him if he got off by doing this and he just laughed his normal nervous laugh. a little while later he saw a sewer roach crawling up the side of the house and grabbed a can of bug spray he had left on the table and sprayed the bug. He didn't just zap the bug, he sprayed it until it fell off the wall. a good 10 to 15 second. I asked him if it was dead enough yet. He laughed his nervous laugh again and said, "Yeah I think so." I was being sarcastic and told him he'd better hit it again just to be sure. He laughed. but he looked for it for a second. I think if he could have seen it in the dark he would have sprayed it again. At the time I thought he was just being weird because he was bored. Now I think he's got a few issues.

So she says shes allergic. I dont' belive her. I just think she had a fear of bees.
Aside from my opinion of her being nuts, there are few reasions I have to believe she is not allergic. (1) back whan I was a little kid and she was probibly high school age, her dad had at least 2 beehives in their back yard. I know there were there for several years. Now. I ask you guys this qyestion. What father would put bee hives in his back yard if he knew his child could die from a single bee sting? I come up with only two logical answers to this question. A, he wouldn't. B He dosn't like his kid and was hoping for an accedent. Normally I'd find the second answer hard to believe but now that I know alot more about his kid I think it possable.
in know for a fact that she cooks with honey and uses bees wax to make lip bolms and other stuff.
The few people I know who have allergies to bee stings are also allergic to honey and bees wax. The one lady I talked to told me about a reaction she had once to a dry mead she had once tasted.
So, for me, the math dosn't add up to being allergic but points to a fear issue. Yeah. I know that fear is a real issue for those people with it. But it's not going to kill her. She'll just go nuts, hyperventalate until she passes out then breath normally again until she wakes up.
I could go on and on with examples of the drama she as cause to the family and how annoying her son has been almost all his life. And how the grand parrents have babied him all this time. Thats not really the issue. She's nuts and he's not been tought to know any better.

12 + Bird shot...... j/k, you ever thought about some AHB'S? Sorry had to add that too.QUOTE]

I have both. tust me. I have thought about the 12 since I was a little kid and she used to pick on me then.

The AHB is about all we have here in Phoenix. that is why I have been very careful not to mess with the hive until late at night when the bees can't fly around very far. they will still gather around the street light and borch lights though. at least they arn't flying around looking for someone to sting. They seem to calm down by morning or the ones that are made have been away from the hive too long and died.

According to one site I googled, in Arizona it is "a Class 6 felony to apply pesticides on property you do not own without an SPCC license." I suggest you read here then contact the county attorney and the attorney general for relief.
http://www.sb.state.az.us/
I knew that was a law something to that effect but I didn't know exactly what it was. It is why I don't charge when I do a hive removal (Althought donations are always welcome.) and I am very picky when it comes to who I do a removal for. If I can't get the hive out at all or have to kill the bees when I do, I either say no deal or use soapie and water to "Clean up my mess."

This is a good lead I'll have to follow up on.

Your neighbor sounds mildly to moderately mentally ill, a variety of anti-social disorder or worse to some degree. I would take her to small claims court. There will be little if any expense on your part as you will be representing yourself.

Some of the best advice I got in my 30 year career in law enforcement was from a pychiatric nurse. She said mentally ill people must experience the consequences of their actions. If they are out in society, then they have to abide by society's rule. If bad behavior means jail, civil court, or committment, so be it.

Now having said that, you will probably have an enemy for life who can make life even more miserable for you. But you can't use that fear to avoid dealing with her. It's her choice to engage in anti-social behaviors and she will have to reap the consequences. I've actually seen some great success stories when people are confronted by consequences of bad behavior, and to a large degree, that's what law enforcement is all about.

JustBob

You have a way with understatment. I'm not saying that she's an nutty as your average crake head or anything like that but yeah. Blocks have been falling off that load for a long time. You are right though. I will have an enemy for life or at least as long as she things I'm an easy target for her drama. She's going to have to learn the hard way not to mess with people.

If you talk to her again, let her know that bees that are sprayed get very agitated and will often fly around and attack and sometimes will swarm and land in a nearby yard or go into a house wall.

Maybe its too late for that though....
I tried to explain this to her but she would not listen and wanted to argue and twist my words around to justafy her messing with the hive in the first place. I tried to explain to her about how all the news stories I've read about bee attacks have one thing in common. "Someone messed with that hive and someone else got attacked." If no one had messed with those bees then there wouldn't have been a problem. She wouldn't listen. she won't be happy until the bees are dead.

A taller fence and a video camera. Like some others said.... thats why I live out in the boonies....
I've wanted a taller fence for years but the old guy that used to live there wouldn't go for it. there is a problem in the very back where an Oleander tree has pushed up part of the wall and it is now unstable. To fix it, the oleander would have to be dug up and neither she or the old guy that lived there before whated to bother with it. I can't do it with out her support since it's on her side of the wall. If nothing else, I'll get the rest of the wall higher.

Yeah. I hate living right in the middle of Phoenix. Too many idiots to deal with.

Being allergic would be probably the only justifiable reason for her freaking out (not spraying them, freaking out). I know there are some people who simply cannot be convinced of anything, but from a neighborly point of view:

-ask her why she feels so strongly against the bees and what you can do reasonably to appease her.
-explain they are not aggressive unless provoked.
-explain even if they were a half mile away and she didn't know about it, they would show up in her yard
-explain that keeping them comfortable in their hives is the best way to keep them from swarming and moving into her house.

From a non-neighborly point of view I like many of the ideas already given:

-Keep a journal of events, this establishes a pattern of behavior
-Build natural or artificial barriers that cause her to have to enter your property.
-Warn her not to enter your property or damage your property via certified mail. Let her know in this letter that legal action will be taken if she violates your rights as a citizen and property owner.
-If you want you can demand restitution in or out of court. This may just aggrivate her and force her to "get back" at you.
-Motion cameras (such as game cameras) can capture her entering your property.
-If she does enter your property (or her son), contact law enforcement after this letter has been sent. Provide a copy of the letter to the cops, and have them write a criminal trespass citation (or whatever you may call it in your state). This will provide the paperwork so that if she comes on your property, you call the cops, and she gets a trespassing charge.
-Every time you see your bees in her yard, spray her garden with herbicide, and tell her you are training the bees to stay in their yard! (Just kidding, that one was meant to cheer you up)

One thing I would not avoid is documenting these issues with your local authorities. Sometimes isolated incidences will make the cops believe that you have both had bad days and things will blow over. If you can establish a pattern of behavior on her part for them to see clearly, then dealing with getting them out there and on your side will be a breeze.

A cop will look the other way once and let her slide, but not if he's coming out there every week.

Last but not least--make sure you are not violating any local codes or laws by keeping bees where you are, and make sure there are no other oddball laws that can come back to bite you. I would hate for you to bring attention to the topic, only to lose or have to relocate your bees, even though she is clearly in the wrong.

Good Luck!
This is some good stuff. I've had to deal with an idiot neighbor before and know how to deal with the city. I've just not had one stupid enough to mess use poison until now.

I tried being nice and talking to her. the first time I talked to her about bees when she was first moving in, she told me she was allergic. I did the normal thing and asked about what kid of reaction she got when stung. pain, swelling. she say yaeh and also described anafalactic shock. I asked her if she carried her Epie pen with her at all times. She said she didn't know what that was. So I told her. Her not knowing was and Epie pen is was just one more thing that leads me to believe that she is afraid and not allergiv. she knows just enough about allergic reactions to describe one but not the treatment because she's never had it.

I do like that part someone said about giving her some of the honey from the hive. I actually thought about this and then telling her where it came from after she ate some. I've got plenty of good honey around here that I can do that with too. What I could really use is some honey from a soybean field. I've tasted it before and it had a weird medisanal after taiste. I'm sure she would mistake that for the poison and freak out. The power of suggustion can be a very powerful thing on a week mind.

Minor update. I just got off the phone with my friend, (The Psycho's brother.) I think he agrees that she has been unhappy lately and is up to her old tricks again. He dosnt' want to get in the middle of any of this crap and I see no reason why he should. He understands how bad things could have gotton if someone actually ate any of the honey from that poisoned hive and how she had no right to do it.

Only time will tell.

maybe I'll get lucky and the Carma fairy will drop a chunck of space junk on her head.

thanks for the advice guys. Even some of the bad advice still gave me a good laugh.

the one about the pissed off bee bomb was a good one.

#18 ·
According to one site I googled, in Arizona it is "a Class 6 felony to apply pesticides on property you do not own without an SPCC license." I suggest you read here then contact the county attorney and the attorney general for relief.
http://www.sb.state.az.us/

32-2327. Injunctive relief
In addition to all other remedies, the acting director, either through the attorney general or
the county attorney, may apply to the appropriate court for an order enjoining any act or
practice that appears to constitute a violation of this chapter or rules adopted pursuant to
this chapter. On a proper showing, a temporary restraining order, a preliminary injunction
or a permanent injunction shall be granted without bond.

#35 ·
This is your best route and inventory all the equipment and price it plus new bees at replacement cost. Then take it a step further. Explain that because the area was poisoned you were denied use of your property. Check with the DA on this also. You may be able to have her charged with illegal search and seizure (seizure of the use of your yard though poisoning). Check with an attorney for the amount you can sue for regarding this violation of your civil rights. Additionally, because you are not sure of what was used and the extent of the poison you should call your doctor and get the price of a full exam to include extensive toxicology tests and include this in the suit. Further you should contact a hazard waste cleanup corporation and get the price of a hazard waste clean up..which should include the excavation of your contaminated soil and the grass and replacement of each with clean fill and new sod. Lastly apply for a restraining order against your neighbor from any and all contact. This way if she does contact you in the future or comes onto your property you can have her arrested for violation of the restraining order.

Unless she has a lot of money she will have to sell her house to pay for the judgment against her...so this may also be a good way to get her moved. :applause:

#19 ·
Get a dedicated notebook and write down every incident. Times, dates, details. May come in handy later, and you will not be able to remember.

I, too, have a nut-case neighbor, who does not seem to understand the meaning of "private property" unless it's his. He runs his ATV through my property, but yells at me for trailering my boat past his house (on a public road). Thank God he has not found my hives yet, but it's only a matter of time. He works with pesticides at the local nursery and scares me.

Keep us posted on your "nut case neighbor." I may have to take a lesson from your experiences.

#31 ·
Get a dedicated notebook and write down every incident. Times, dates, details. May come in handy later, and you will not be able to remember.
If you are going to keep a book, then it needs to have a sewn binding like a composition notebook.
Do not tare out any pages.
Only write on one side of a page.
Date every entry.
If you write something that you do not like, cross it out with a single line.
DO NOT ERASE ANYTHING!

This will allow your book to become a legal document.

Any correspondance should be certified/return receipt and cc'd to what ever authority you will be dealing with, ie: cheif of police, town or city attorney, etc.

Now I'm not a lawyer, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn once.

#20 ·
Let Her Face the Consequences of Her Actions

Your neighbor sounds mildly to moderately mentally ill, a variety of anti-social disorder or worse to some degree. I would take her to small claims court. There will be little if any expense on your part as you will be representing yourself.

Some of the best advice I got in my 30 year career in law enforcement was from a pychiatric nurse. She said mentally ill people must experience the consequences of their actions. If they are out in society, then they have to abide by society's rule. If bad behavior means jail, civil court, or committment, so be it.

Now having said that, you will probably have an enemy for life who can make life even more miserable for you. But you can't use that fear to avoid dealing with her. It's her choice to engage in anti-social behaviors and she will have to reap the consequences. I've actually seen some great success stories when people are confronted by consequences of bad behavior, and to a large degree, that's what law enforcement is all about.

JustBob

#21 ·
Now having said that, you will probably have an enemy for life who can make life even more miserable for you.
Which is why I suggested a possible easy way out. If the bees were re-located, and maybe some sort of visual barrier to her line of sight was put up or planted, it might be out of sight-out of mind.

I've dealt with too many drug addicted/drunken/criminal types as a beekeeper/employer. They always want to get even with those they blame for their problems. It's always the employer's fault when they get fired or not called back. Better to choose the least provocative path...at least this time. If the problem persists, then there are other options.

Peace pipe? A jar of honey?? Or has it gone too far?

#22 ·
I would suggest a tall privacy fence with a strand of electric fencing around the inside top. They won't be climbing over, and maybe out of site would eventually be out of mind.
I would also consider a tall privacy fence around the hives themselves.
I know it's an expense, but beats having her kill all your bees, over and over again.

I can't believe the police didn't arrest her for spraying the neighbors with a hose. Around here that would be assault.

#25 ·
get more bees...as many hives as you can legally have on that fence line. I would also press charges and take her and her son to court for the full value of all your equipment that now has pesticide on it, plus filing fees. once the judgement is made, even if she dosen't pay you....you might beable to garnish her wages.

#28 ·
My son worked in an assisted living facility for years with people like you described. He has that when one of them threatened him, sometimes with a fork or knife, it didn't matter how big they were, he had to stand up to them and they would back down. He only weighs about 125 lbs. It's kind of like a dog in a pack challenging the dominant male. You have to stand your ground.

#30 ·
Being allergic would be probably the only justifiable reason for her freaking out (not spraying them, freaking out). I know there are some people who simply cannot be convinced of anything, but from a neighborly point of view:

-ask her why she feels so strongly against the bees and what you can do reasonably to appease her.
-explain they are not aggressive unless provoked.
-explain even if they were a half mile away and she didn't know about it, they would show up in her yard
-explain that keeping them comfortable in their hives is the best way to keep them from swarming and moving into her house.

From a non-neighborly point of view I like many of the ideas already given:

-Keep a journal of events, this establishes a pattern of behavior
-Build natural or artificial barriers that cause her to have to enter your property.
-Warn her not to enter your property or damage your property via certified mail. Let her know in this letter that legal action will be taken if she violates your rights as a citizen and property owner.
-If you want you can demand restitution in or out of court. This may just aggrivate her and force her to "get back" at you.
-Motion cameras (such as game cameras) can capture her entering your property.
-If she does enter your property (or her son), contact law enforcement after this letter has been sent. Provide a copy of the letter to the cops, and have them write a criminal trespass citation (or whatever you may call it in your state). This will provide the paperwork so that if she comes on your property, you call the cops, and she gets a trespassing charge.
-Every time you see your bees in her yard, spray her garden with herbicide, and tell her you are training the bees to stay in their yard! (Just kidding, that one was meant to cheer you up)

One thing I would not avoid is documenting these issues with your local authorities. Sometimes isolated incidences will make the cops believe that you have both had bad days and things will blow over. If you can establish a pattern of behavior on her part for them to see clearly, then dealing with getting them out there and on your side will be a breeze.

A cop will look the other way once and let her slide, but not if he's coming out there every week.

Last but not least--make sure you are not violating any local codes or laws by keeping bees where you are, and make sure there are no other oddball laws that can come back to bite you. I would hate for you to bring attention to the topic, only to lose or have to relocate your bees, even though she is clearly in the wrong.

Good Luck!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.