Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

fumigillin-b drench method

30K views 43 replies 14 participants last post by  irwin harlton 
#1 ·
Does anyone use Fumigillin-b in a drench method on a commercial level? If so how do you mix it?

#33 ·
The spaniards did use bags and that would necessitate an inner cover at least. Not everybody uses that piece of equipment. Now I'm not sure why they used baggies. They are easy to place over the cluster at the precise place. From what I hear bees will not syrup if heavily infected with Nosema Ceranae so beekeepers resort to drenching. I'm not sure if the Spaniards did this. I thought they did but again not sure. I would think that drenching would give a good distribution of the syrup, provided it did not end up on the bottom board.
Yes. We are all guessing, it seems. Too bad we have to use this drug. The sooner we find alternate solutions that do not involve sacrificing our bees and our livelihood, the better.

#40 ·
Gene, what would be the highest dosage of thymol

that you have fed.
I have fed 1gram/gallon syrup.......makes some colonies cluster on the outside... but seen no damage otherwise. Think recommended dosage in Spain was .44gm/gallon.Also fed fumidil -B seperately in syrup. I understand thymol also hinders varroa developement

#41 ·
that you have fed.
I have fed 1gram/gallon syrup.......makes some colonies cluster on the outside... but seen no damage otherwise. Think recommended dosage in Spain was .44gm/gallon.Also fed fumidil -B seperately in syrup. I understand thymol also hinders varroa developement
I use 0.25 gram/gallon as a mold preventative. It also happens to coincide with a concentration of 0.44 mM thymol which is what was used in a 3-year study done in Turkey comparing its effectiveness with that of fumidil. I have never used it as a varroa treatment so I can't comment on that. I also use thymolated syrup when I mix my pollen patties, again as a mold preventative. Some have questioned how effective Thymol treatment is on Nosema since the results of the Turkey study have not officially been duplicated. I have chosen to use it over other mold preventatives in the hopes that there is some validity to that study. For a raging verified active Nosema infestation, it still seems that fumidil is the only treatment that provides a more verifiable immediate result.

#43 ·
That is a good question, for which I have no answer. I have envisioned a treatment regime that uses both on an alternating basis, but I think I would be reluctant to combine them in the same syrup without a definitive answer to your question.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.