Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

Dead nuc

3K views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  bluegrass 
#1 ·
Hi this was a strong nuc with 2007 queen. dunno what happened to it. there were visible mites in the cluster although I did not do a count. I did not treat - big mistake!

cluster was next to the honey

this is end frame, there was 1 more frame with the similar sized cluster.

lot of dead bees at the bottom

bee poop.

so what do you think happened?

See less See more
#6 ·
This was actually a strong hive double deep at one time (this summer) however towards fall it dwindled in numbers.It was from last year 2007 and it wintered well last year. gave me a little honey also in 2007. The last time I checked was in oct it was occupying 5 frames. I put a super on it 5 on 5 and put sugar on top 5 lbs. However it kept going down in numbers I couldn't find out what was wrong. in dec I found it to be dead one day. This was a no treatment hive.
I am going to do powdered sugar from now on.

#8 ·
Is it really foulbrood?

They had a lot of dead brood in the adjoining frames. capped and abandoned. The amount of brood was much more than the bees could cover.

as a side note my other hive also met the same fate it was a full sized hive when I combined a weak nuc (after killing the queen) and about 4 weeks from then I found the hive dead. small cluster and no dead bees at the bottom. So foul brood becomes a real possibility. Although the frames are not smelling any different.
whats the best way to find out?
I would like to find out before I get new bees this spring.:scratch:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.