Thread: honey question

Default honey question

I run close to 50 hives in 6 5/8 eight frame boxes. Most are double deep and some three deep. I have allways split my own hives for increase. My question is, if I want 10 new hives and purchase 10 3 lbs packages running the configuration of 2 6 5/8 supers can I expect to make honey? I know its the million dollar question. They will be installed 3-4 weeks prior to first honey flow. I could put one drawn comb in each and not hurt my current stock i guess. Just seeking advise from the pros.....

Thats not long enough for a package to get anything from the first flow other than a good buildup, but after that,possibly.More drawn comb to start would definitely help.
    Any reason you don't want to split as usual?

25 are splits from late summer, also lost a few to SHB. I'm not wanting to weaken any hives right now due to fear of massive SHB problem like last year. More of a back up for worst case I guess. I caught 11 swarms last spring but sold them to someone else. Hoping to get alot of calls again this year and that would solve the issue. Just being to protective of my strong hives I guess.

With 50 hives I don't see how splitting for 10 would be a problem. You could take two brood from each which should be more then enough to make really strong splits. Feed um and they should be in a position to make honey for you pretty quick.
    Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid. John Wayne

SHBs- no experience with managing that problem, haven't seen one yet.Just a matter of time though....