Default Sugar Dusting on Solid Bottom Boards

I tried an experiment recently involving sugar dusting on solid bottom boards. I have 8 frame hives, with a bee space between the bottom board and the hive body just under 1/2". I purchased elmer's poster foam board (for the science fair displays) to use as sticky boards. Unfortunately, these just barely fit in the bee space. Other materials I researched were far too expensive. Corrugated plastic was another option but my local sign company would've had to special order them with a 2 week wait time.

Anyway, I performed sugar dusting on about 10 hives using the method Randy Oliver describes in his recent articles in ABJ. (except for the screened bottom boards obviously). I sprayed the sticky boards with cooking oil. About 10 minutes after dusting, I removed the sticky boards from the hive to count the mites, then replaced it for 24 hours. When I counted the mites the first time, every board had over 40 mites when I stopped counting. 24 hours later when I removed the boards, they had 3 to 5 mites.

My question is: What happened to the dozens of mites present on the board the day before? Did they hitch rides back on bees due to my lack of a screen? That is my theory. It seems that a screened bottom with a space between the sticky board and the bees is essential.

I have read other threads on this board describing dusting without a screened bottom and having great success, so I'm wondering if I am not doing something right.

Has anyone else had this same experience?

Hiya Melisseus,
    You are correct on all accounts. Without an SBB the fallen mites will just hitch a ride back up on the next bee to come by. I can't say how anyone would have success in ridding hive of mights using powder sugar dusting without SBB's.
    "A good day is when no one shows up and you don't have to go anywhere." - Burt Shavitz (Burt's Buzz)