Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

Is this common in the North?

3K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  gloodinofdoodin 
#1 ·
Its about 22 o F and 7:00P I have several bees active around a ventilation hole in one of my hives. Shouldn't they be clustered up? They don't seem to be stumbling around or showing any k-wing signs.

Any idea what this could be?

#3 ·
I noticed the same thing on Sunday. The snow had just ended and I was making sure the entrances were unblocked. There were a few flying around and a few dead in the snow. It seemed that once they flew out it was too cold and stunned them.

I am only talking about 5-8 bees but thought it was way too cold for them to even think of venturing out.

#5 ·
Thanks everyone. The bees are between two houses that only about 15 feet apart. They get alot of light reflected off the houses so it probably fools them into believing its warmer than it is. I do plan on moving them before the spring thaw. They flew out when it warmed up and they was a bit of poop on the neighbors house. Can't imagine how bad it'll be in the spring.

Listened to two of my three hives and hear plenty of buzzing. I HATE the waiting.:waiting:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.