Question Is this common in the North?

Its about 22 o F and 7:00P I have several bees active around a ventilation hole in one of my hives. Shouldn't they be clustered up? They don't seem to be stumbling around or showing any k-wing signs.

Any idea what this could be?
    Michael

could be a big hive, filling most of the box, they are able to break cluster to access stores in the hive when the cold doesnt drive them into a cluster,
    Ian Steppler >> Canadian Beekeeper's Blog
    www.stepplerfarms.com

I noticed the same thing on Sunday. The snow had just ended and I was making sure the entrances were unblocked. There were a few flying around and a few dead in the snow. It seemed that once they flew out it was too cold and stunned them.

I am only talking about 5-8 bees but thought it was way too cold for them to even think of venturing out.

Quit normal; the bigger hives will sometimes have bees moving around the top entrances. If the hive has a good wind break then sometimes they are around the entrance at temperatures as low as -20C (-4F).

Thanks everyone. The bees are between two houses that only about 15 feet apart. They get alot of light reflected off the houses so it probably fools them into believing its warmer than it is. I do plan on moving them before the spring thaw. They flew out when it warmed up and they was a bit of poop on the neighbors house. Can't imagine how bad it'll be in the spring.

Listened to two of my three hives and hear plenty of buzzing. I HATE the waiting.
    Michael

Quote Originally Posted by Beorn View Post
    Listened to two of my three hives and hear plenty of buzzing. I HATE the waiting.
    This time of the year drives me nuts. At least here in the south I can watch them come out on warmer days.
    The wind blows freely, carrying the petals, pollenating our footsteps.