Default Liquid smoke vs smoke smoke

I've met some people who use liquid smoke (the kind you get in the grocery store to flavor steaks) in a spray bottle instead of a smoker. It works to calm the bees down but, wouldn't it leave the smoke smell in the hive a lot longer? I would think this lingering odor would cause the bees to continue in panic mode sucking down more honey instead of working, long after you've left.

Opinions?
    Whatever you believe you can or cannot do, you're right. - RusticElementBees.com

Quote Originally Posted by newbeemike View Post
    I've met some people who use liquid smoke (the kind you get in the grocery store to flavor steaks) in a spray bottle instead of a smoker. It works to calm the bees down but, wouldn't it leave the smoke smell in the hive a lot longer? I would think this lingering odor would cause the bees to continue in panic mode sucking down more honey instead of working, long after you've left.

Opinions?
    I would also think that it would taint the wax and honey, just an opinion!

Is the same type that beecommerce sells? I saw some on the same page as the smokers, it comes with a spray bottle and I think like 6 packets of liquid smoke.
    I don't know anything about it myself.

Quote Originally Posted by Natalie View Post
    Is the same type that beecommerce sells? I saw some on the same page as the smokers, it comes with a spray bottle and I think like 6 packets of liquid smoke.
    I don't know anything about it myself.
    I don't know. The people I saw just got theirs from the grocery store.
    Whatever you believe you can or cannot do, you're right. - RusticElementBees.com

The only thing I have heard about them is in a book I read and they said the liquid smoke is good to use to stop a robbing situation.
    According to the book it says the benefits of the liquid smoke is mostly for stopping a robbing frenzy.According to the author,
    the time it takes to start a smoker could make a difference in the outcome compared to grabbing the liquid smoke.
    He claims thats all he uses now. I personally don't have any experience with it but I have thought of buying some just as an emergency but I am waiting to see what the feedback is.
    This is the stuff I have seen.

http://www.bee-commerce.com/detail.aspx?ID=4

I sure don't like the idea of spraying this chemical, whatever it is, on the bees. I keep a spray bottle of sugar water handy for quick peeks. It also works great for "hot" bees that won't leave you alone. They can ignore the smoke but the sugar distracts them and the wetness slows them down. Spray them in mid-flight and they forget all about you.

I just called the company to ask them what this stuff is formulated from and the woman who answered said she had no idea.
    I asked her if she could find out from someone since they should know what is in their products.
    She said that she is all out of it but when she calls the vendor she will ask.
    So, who knows what is in it.

If you google liquid smoke the description of lit is tiny smoke particles trapped in water. I have no idea if that is what is in this product and it is all natural or not.

Guess I will wait and see what she has to say later this week.

Default Alder or Mesquite?

It is a natural food flavoring used in sauces and marinades. It is great to use during fire season. I prefer the real smoke because it rapidly permeates the whole hive and seems to work faster, but when the fire danger is extreme it is a great safe alternative. It can also be used on the hands.
    John B Jacob www.oldsolbees.com

The Liquid Smoke sold in grocery stores contains vinegar & molasses. I use it in the kitchen for flavoring foods, but don't think I'd want to flavor my hives with it! Here's a link which provides all the facts about it:
    http://www.colgin.com/public/lsfaq.aspx#thefacts

Default Just a little spritz or a little puff

Smoke is smoke weather it is trapped in in water or air. Food can be flavored in a smoker or in a marinade with liquid smoke. It is really a safe alternative to having a flame source near your bees or apiary during fire season, or if discretion is called for because you do not want a big cloud of smoke giving away your activities or disturbing your neighbor.

As far has flavoring your hive goes one would have to use so much of either for form of smoke that it would drive the bees to abscond. Liquid smoke can be used easily and safely without fear flavoring or negatively affecting the bees.
    John B Jacob www.oldsolbees.com

Default I've used it.

I had some of this when I lived in Fresno and was worried about starting a fire with a smoker. I'm not sure whether it's as good as conventional smoke but it's an interesting alternative.

I found it on the web at http://www.newtonapiaries.com/liquidbeesmokerpage.htm

Geoff
    http://bees-on-the-net.com/bs
    Bees give me a buzz!

I use Liquid Smoke for robbing situations. I spray the bees and the air surrounding the hive and it works really well. However, I have never sprayed it inside a hive. I use the kind from the grocery store.

When I was in high school (many, many moons ago) I often had the run of the chem lab whenever I wanted. I made a still to distill wood. I used the resulting liquid to tan gopher hides. This is really creosote, but I often wondered if liquid smoke was the same thing?