Default Can't give away a hive of bees...

I live in the Phoenix AZ area. I am on 4 acres of property. I used to breed exotic birds and have large nest boxes out back. For a few years I've had honeybees inhabit the old nest boxes. I've tried to contact local beekeeping societies to offer hives to them. A few years ago I ended up having to call a bee "service" and told them I wanted them to simply remove a box that had been inhabited which was too close to our front door. Without my being there they ended up foaming the bees and killing them. What a waste. The bees have never been aggressive and enjoy their life on our property with citrus flowers and others to enjoy. There is no insecticide used and they remain healthy and thriving. Given the current problems with bee colonies, I don't understand why I can't find someone to take the hive they've made in the nestbox. If there is no interest, I have every intention of letting them continue their existence as it is. I would love however to offer them to a society member who might like to take the hive including the nest box. Why is it so hard to give them away?

I presume the answer is in your location. Phoenix is an Africanized Bee Area, and the "authorities" say that all feral bees should be considered Africanized.

Often times the bees are not Africanized, but there is no simple way to tell, so beekeepers are wary of picking up swarms in these areas.
    Troy

Default timing

The other consideration is timing. If I was to get them now, I'd want to set them up in one of my boxes with frames etc. but what they've filled your box with probably wouldn't transfer--they need that stored food. Viability is always the question. A little later into spring blooms may be a better time.
    LoL.
    BBZZZZZ

Default Thanks for the input

I appreciate the feedback. I can understand the hesitancy to bring Africanized bees into a colony. I can only speak for my experience when I say I've been near the hive several times and while the bees will alert I've never had a problem. If one were interested in the bees, I'd be amenable to giving the box away whatever time of year.

you might want to go to the search button at the top and go to advanced search and lookup Joseph Clemens, send him a PM
    he's from Tuscon, he probably won't drive up there to get them but he may know someone in your area. local knowledge is always good

Dave

Thanks for the information. I was out of town and didn't look at my mail.